Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

RAR files with seek

chowjok
2011-06-17
2013-05-30
  • chowjok
    chowjok
    2011-06-17

RAR Files with seek

I have about 9 TB of uncompressed rar files that contain movies and tv shows. The video stored in them are in formats that my TV supports, so no transcoding is necessary. But I don't wish to unrar them. There's a workaround in the FAQ that pipes the output of unrar but that makes it impossible to seek in the video, which is annoying.

This is just an idea about how I think this should work. Suppose I have some-video.avi stored inside some-name.rar and mediatomb scans for files in a directory, it should only list some-video.avi to clients that request the filelist, and when they make the request for the file, mediatomb should do what's necessary to look inside the rar files and send what the TV is expecting. This is an example of how this feature is implemented in an mplayer patch (http://people.spacelabs.nl/~emiel/mplayer/ so maybe we can do something similar. I don't have any experience with DLNA so I don't know much about how the protocol works so for now I was thinking of doing some iptables magic to hijack requests to rarfiles and send them to an external daemon that takes care of looking inside the rar file.

Thoughts?

• chowjok
    chowjok
    2011-08-27

I got this to work using rar2fs