seek while transcode?

2013-07-26
2014-05-19
  • hamza alloush
    hamza alloush
    2013-07-26

hello, i have read on the website that mediatomb does not support seek while transcoding. is there anyway for mediatomb to pass video duration argument to external transcoder? like arguments="%in %out %duration"?

• hamza alloush
    hamza alloush
    2013-07-26

i would like to use ffmpeg as external transcoder so when you press FF on the remote the externel transcoder command becomes something like:

seektime=$3
    ffmpeg -ss $seektime+100 -i $1 (transcode setting etc) $2

offcourse we need to also pass the control point command so we could know to FF or Rewind. or in case pause to save the current time to a variable and use that as -ss argument.

• Pumbaa2
    Pumbaa2
    2014-04-10

I was wondering about this too. I figure it would be easier to toss out the Output FIFO idea for a real file. That way the file could be seeked at least to the point where the transcoder is currently at. MediaTomb could delete the temp file after killing off the transcoder when the player disconnects/stops playback. This may also fix the issue with MP4 Streaming. I've noticed that even with the flag to put the metadata at the beginning of the file, ffmpeg still complains that it can't write a MP4 to a FIFO cause its not seekable. If MediaTomb doesn't open the file until it's a certain size it would allow ffmpeg to put the metadata at the beginning of the file so MediaTomb could start streaming it. FFMpeg adds the metadata information to the beginning of the MP4 right away when the flag is set for it, but still seeks back to do it, which is stupid.

• hamza alloush
    hamza alloush
    2014-04-18

this is way too over my head, but still helpful!

i had given up on the idea for real seeking...

what i had in my mind is a much simpler way, let's say the goal here for mediatomb to stream a movie and for whatever reason the stream cuts half way through the movie.. to watch the movie from the beggining to that point gets quite tiring.

so, create a virtual container layout that does the following:

1-Display a "seek"($moviedir/seek) option(virtual folder) along side the movie in the directory.

2-Upon opening the "seek" folder, the film/movie/clip depending on its length using metadata, gets divided into 10m segments in the folder.(i.e a hour long movie will have 6 segments. possibly with thumbnails as well)

3-depending on the segment played, MediaTomb passes an argument that goes to an ffmpeg script with the "-ss" option at the output.

the problem here, is that MediaTomb's connection to the renderer, gets timed out during decoding to the seek point.

Last edit: hamza alloush 2014-04-18
  • hamza alloush
    hamza alloush
    2014-05-19

hi Jurik_Phys

i just skimmed through that thread, it looks interesting!

i will at it more closely as i get the time and will report if there is any results, thanks!

Last edit: hamza alloush 2014-05-19