Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

mediatomb not streaming to vlc

pferronato
2010-04-02
2013-05-30
  • pferronato
    pferronato
    2010-04-02

Hi,

I successfully installed mediatomb in my Dlink DNS323, I'm pretty satisfied so far. The only concern I have is why it seems it's not possible to stream in firefox to vlc? Instead every time the file has to be downloaded first, then vls can play it.
    Can't it be different?

thanks
    best
    PF

• Jin
    Jin
    2010-04-02

Hi,

MediaTomb is a UPnP server and you need a UPnP player in order to stream the videos.

The web UI only allows you to do some basic things like adding and removing data to the media database, and also to download files, but it's not meant for streaming, this part works via UPnP.

• pferronato
    pferronato
    2010-04-03

hi, thanks for the reply.
    I got a media player (WDTVLive) but I was trying to find also a way to stream to a PC, I thought I could do that with the browser.
    I was wrong, any way to stream to a PC?

PS: we can all play attached mp3 from gmail .. isn't a way to do the same at home?

• Jin
    Jin
    2010-04-03

You could install XBMC on your PC: http://xbmc.org/

I think the download happens because of the content disposition header, we added it on purpose, but yes, I guess it could be made configurable so that streaming from the Web UI becomes possible. Bug generally - this is not the use case, if you are on your PC you can simply access your data via a network share and you do not have to mess around with UPnP.

• pferronato
    pferronato
    2010-04-05

Thanks,

this new use case could be a valuable addiction.
    Accessing media via a shared folder is not what I' like:
    - sharing and accessing a folder is not zero configuration
    - sharing a folder restrict you th the folder structure, no way to use the ID3 tags

If it's "just" a header settings maybe this can be set as a property.

Thanks for xbmc, very nice

best
    IronBorn

• jeromebzh
    jeromebzh
    2011-05-04

Hello,

How setup VLCversion 1.1.8) to acceess to the mp3 files of my mediatomb server trought my lan ?

i don't find where setup vlc to it (nothing in the playlist menu)

thanks

• Garfield
    Garfield
    2011-05-04

Hello,

on a PC, you can install foobar2000 which free and portableapss. foobar2000 has a addon to support UPNP. It works great for me. This, on my PC I can access the same playlist I use with my WD TVLIVE.

• jeromebzh
    jeromebzh
    2011-05-04

ok thanks for this soft foobar2000, i'm going to try it