Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Stop Mediatomb running scan on startup?

2010-01-10
2013-05-30
  • monkeywammer
    monkeywammer
    2010-01-10

I love Mediatomb but one option (or lack of) is really bugging me.

Every time I reboot my server, or restart the Mediatomb service, it does a scan of all my media again, presumably looking for changes. My media very rarely gets updated so is there a way I can disable this auto scan on startup? I'm using inotify for keeping track of changes, and this unnecessary scan at startup wastes a lot of CPU and disk access on my low power server.

Couldn't find an option in either the config.xml or the mediatomb man page. If there isn't an option to do this, I'd love to see it added!

• Jin
    Jin
    2010-01-10

I understand your use case, but omitting the initial scan would mean that you could easily end up in an inconsistent state, I'm not sure if it is a good idea to add such an option. It could easily confuse people…

It could be somewhat OK with timed scan, then it would mean that if the database gets out of sync with the file system, it would be updated when the timer kicks in, but with inotify scan you would have to resolve it manually. I don't think it would be a good idea to offer a setting that actually breaks functionality of an otherwise working feature, sorry….

• monkeywammer
    monkeywammer
    2010-01-10

Hi jin_eld, thanks for your reply!

How about a command line switch such as '-disable-startup-scan', or even '-delay-startup-scan=300' that could be used when starting the daemon. I think it would be pretty clear to users (and majority would just ignore it).

If I knew I had an inconsistency between Mediatomb's database and the filesystem, I could restart the daemon, omitting the switch to perform a scan. Or even better, use a new command that triggers a full manual scan on demand. ;)

What do you think?

• chowjok
    chowjok
    2011-08-27

I'd like such an option too. It's very annoying to have to rescan a huge library after every reboot. Maybe it should just check the last modification time and skip the rescan if it hasn't changed?