iPlayer via Mediatomb

James
2008-10-06
2013-05-30
  • James
    James
    2008-10-06

Hi all

I stumbled across get_iplayer the other day, which is a perl script for downloading and streaming content from the BBC iplayer website

Here . http://linuxcentre.net/?page_id=6

I've had a play with it and have to say it's the absolute nuts :)

Basically it downloads the ipod/iphone streams as a mov file, which is then a cinch to rebox into an mp4 file to stream with mediatomb. I'm watching an episoide of Merlin right now on my ps3, and although the quality isn't amazing, it's pretty good for a 320*240 size file, and certainly watchable.

It can also stream output via vlc too, but I haven't explored that yet.

Anyway, does anyone know if this can be done on the fly, ie connect to Mediatomb on my PS3, browse the entire iPlayer library, and then playback something as a mp4 there and then without having to download and remux.

Cheers :)

• Jin
      Jin
      2008-10-07

Well, I do not think that you could browse the BBC content on the fly - for that we would have to implement whatever the script is doing and offer the content via a virtual structure (similar to how we do it with YouTube content in the SVN version).

In your case the easiest would be to run cron which updates the content (downloads what you are interested in) and combine it with transcoding settings.

An alternative would also be, that you create playlists instead of downloading the actual files (I do not know if you can tell this script to save URLs to the media into a text file instead of downloading the actual movie).

You could then use our playlist engine, in combination with inotify scan it would keep your structure up to date.

• James
      James
      2008-10-07

Thanks for the heads up. Think I'll probably leave it well alone for the time being :)

Have managed to use the pvr functionality of the script to some success. I've set up a few searches and set them to run regularly as a cron job downloading any new content when available and also to automatically rebox it to an mp4 using a ffmpeg script.

Cheers