Support for WMA Lossless files

2009-11-16
2013-05-30
  • Michael Chare
    Michael Chare
    2009-11-16

Is there any chance that MediaTomb will be enhanced to support  the WMA Lossless format?

I have ripped a number of CDs using Windows Media Player and now find that I can't use Mediatomb to make them available on my home network. Mediatomb does suppport FLEC, which perversely Windows Media Player does not. 

• Jin
    Jin
    2009-12-03

What do you mean by "support"? You can stream any data with MediaTomb, usually it's just a case to correctly configure the mime type, so that the player knows what data it is dealing with.

Metadata support is of course a different topic, we use various libraries to extract metadata from media files, so support of WMA tags will depend if one of those libraries is able to handle the particular format.

• Michael Chare
    Michael Chare
    2009-12-03

Thank you for your reply. OK Let me ask the question differently then: 

How would I configure the mime type so that wma lossless files can be streamed?

• Jin
    Jin
    2009-12-03

That I do not know - you have two options. You can download Intel UPnP tools and query your device using the GetProtocolInfo action, it should display a list of supported mimetypes.

Or you can find a server where streaming of this kind of media to your device works and make a wireshark log/look what mimetype the server is sending.

To your actual question "how" - you can setup an appropriate extension to mimetype mapping in the config.xml and reimport your wma files (see documentation for more details).