Custom video thumbnails

2009-02-15
2013-05-30
  • Eugene Cormier
    Eugene Cormier
    2009-02-15

I have the automatic video thumbnails enabled, and while they are really cool I would love to be able to set default thumbnails

if this feature doesn't exist here's the way I think it should work:
    it should work the same as mp3 album art....simply throw a jpg file with the exact same name as the movie, and when I view the list of movies on my PS3 I should see the jpg as a thumbnail for the movie

why I don't like the automatic thumbs: 
    1) first off, sometimes the thumb it chooses is a terrible frame from the movie which gives no clue as to what movie is actually is
    2) each time I open a video folder on my PS3, my computer churns to create the thumbnails, I leave the folder and then reenter it and the same thing happens again....with custom thumbs, I could save a lot of cpu cycles....

even if you use the automatic thumbs, they should be saved so that it doesn't have to recreate them every time you move into the folder

my 2¢

• Jin
      Jin
      2009-02-15

We know about the recreation - caching would indeed make sense and is planned for the future.

MP3 does not work as you describe it - we get the album art from the ID3 tags, not from an image in a directory.

BTW, this is also planned.

Kind regards,
      Jin

• Hi,

I recently created a way to push movie posters (collected from IMDB) to the PS3, rather than use thumbnail creation (using ffmpegthumbnailer), with a fall- back of using ffmpegthumbnailer if no poster is available.

Part of the method was to create a simple cache for the ffmpeg generated thumbnails.

http://www.dedmeet.com/software-projects-mainmenu-12/mediatomb-movie-posters.html describes how I did it.

Until MediaTomb supports posters natively, this will have to do.

I have been using this method for only a few days now, so some feedback would be appreciated.

• Mike
    Mike
    2010-05-10

I'd just like to revive this requst for custom thumbnails.  Having just kitted three tv's with WDTVLive units and ripped our entire collection of DVD's (a considerable number) to disk, I was disappointed with the ffmpegthumbnailer results and would like to serve up my own thumbnails.

The above scripting method suggested by lucasvs is fine for those titles which have movie posters, but a large number of the disks are children's disks which are not "movies" and therefore cannot benefit from this approach.  As the children in question are too young to read well, custom images are pretty necessary.

Any progress on this or even any alternative thoughts how to do it?

• Jin
    Jin
    2010-05-10

Well, you need to take the images from somewhere, in the example of lucasvs  (btw thanks for posting!) the images are downloaded from imdb, but instead of doing that you could take there from any other place, you just need a custom script.

The idea on how to inject those movie images into MediaTomb is still the same…

• Mike
    Mike
    2010-05-11

Yeah.  I think I was a bit side-tracked by the imdb side of it but have been thinking along those lines since. I should be able to work something out by using identical filenames for the jpegs as the media files and pulling them from a local filestore. 

I'm just finishing up a modified abcbox script which adds high level folders based on the file rating, which is part of the filename e.g. "dumbo {G}.mp4" or "carrie {R18+}.mp4" and which also creates subfolders for series which have  in their names.  I can't use file metadata as these are my own rips and therefore the files don't have any.

I'll post my scripts once stable.  Thanks for your input.

• Mike
    Mike
    2010-05-11

Just another quick one… any thoughts on if it is possible to serve up images for folders?

• Piero
    Piero
    2010-06-28

I'm actually using MT to stream my media files from a NAS (DNS-323) to a DLNA-enabled bluray player (LG BD570), and it works like a charme. So first of all: thank you to the developers for this outstanding piece of software.

After adding the "transcoding trick" to get videos' thumbnails (…it works fine, thank you lucasvs!), I'm actually trying to get folders' thumbnails too… with no luck, since unfortunately there's nothing (no mimetype) to transcode :(

Probably I'll give up, since I've not enough skill to address this issue; but in my (poor) opinion, the opportunity to serve images for  would be a great enhancement to MT.

Anyway: thank you again… and keep up your excellent work!

• Jin
    Jin
    2010-06-28

You can't have folder thumbnails because we simply have no implementation for such thing, so sorry, but don't try, that won't work without modification of the source code…

Thanks for the feedback :)

• James
    James
    2010-10-05

Hello all,

I'm trying to get movie posters working in 0.12, but the link in post #3 is dead.  I checked Google's cached page but it doesn't save the shell scripts.  Does anyone have these?

• Piero
    Piero
    2010-11-02

@dickeya
    The link is (actually) OK. Anyway I've got an offline copy… let me know if you still need it.

@jin_eld
    Some time has gone… any new? :)

Fyi, I found this (…not sure if it can be useful…but it could)

Sony BRAVIA supports folder thumbnails. Thumbnail must be send as <res> tag, i.e.:
        <DIDL-Lite>
            <container id="0$1$0$0" childCount="14" parentID="0$1$0" restricted="true">
              <dc:title>Folder</dc:title>
             <res protocolInfo="http-get:*:image/jpeg:DLNA.ORG_PN=JPEG_TN">http://192.168.1.101:5001/get/0$1$0$0/folder.jpg</res>
              <dc:date>2009-05-07T20:07:15</dc:date>
              <upnp:class>object.container.storageFolder</upnp:class>
            </container>
        </DIDL-Lite>

Thank you for your attention

Regards

• James
    James
    2010-11-02

@piero14 - Thanks for the update.  I did notice the site came back up a couple weeks ago so I was able to grab the scripts.  Haven't played around with them yet, still in the process of converting everything to mkv. 

• The site appears to be down again. Could someone please upload the scripts somewhere else? Thank you very much.

• Anonymous
    2013-05-20

I've made this patch to ffmpeg_handler.cc. My C++ is quite rusty but this appears to work & is relatively simple in concept. It will use <name of movie>.tbn if it exists. This should be a jpg thumbnail. If it doesn't exist, it will generate the thumbnail from the move as before. Note, this is not extensively tested but appears to work for me. ymmv.

--- mediatomb-0.12.1/src/metadata/ffmpeg_handler.cc     2010-03-25 14:58:10.000000000 +0000
    +++ ../mediatomb-0.12.1/src/metadata/ffmpeg_handler.cc  2013-05-20 21:46:23.000000000 +0100
    @@ -74,7 +74,7 @@
     #include "rexp.h"
     //#include "mxml/mxml.h"
     #include "mem_io_handler.h"
    -
    +#include "file_io_handler.h"
     using namespace zmm;
     //using namespace mxml;
    @@ -281,6 +281,25 @@
     Ref<IOHandler> FfmpegHandler::serveContent(Ref<CdsItem> item, int resNum, off_t *data_size)
     {
    +
    +
    +    // Check for existing tbn
    +
    +    try {
    +       String loc = item->getLocation();
    +       int index = loc.rindex('.');
    +       String rawname = loc.substring(0, index) + ".tbn";
    +
    +       log_debug("Trying to open tbn file: %s\n", rawname.c_str());
    +