Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Freecom Music Pal - is it i recommendable?

2008-11-20
2013-05-30
  • Andreas Haberl
    Andreas Haberl
    2008-11-20

Hi,

I just set up the mediatomb server on my intrepid ibex server and a first test with my PS3 worked fine.

I want to buy an audio-renderer for my daughter. At the moment I prefer the Freecom Music Pal. Are there any known issues in combination with mediatomb or does it work just fine?

regards anderl

• emm_is
      emm_is
      2008-11-20

The Freecom Music Pal works just fine with mediatomb. Its actually a great device, very good value for money. The only issue is that at volume levels > 75% the box can buzz (physically and audibly) , especially with female voices on low bit rates like the 20Kbs for Radios 4's wma streams. Not a problem for a bedroom radio, can be an issue in a kitchen.

• Jin
      Jin
      2008-11-20

One thing to look out for: does the MusicPal work with enabled PS3 settings?

Maybe you could try setting the protocolInfo tag to "yes" in the config.xml and check if it still works, I think that'd be important for Andreas since he wants to use both devices.

• Andreas Haberl
        Andreas Haberl
        2008-11-20

The PS3 is not an issue. I just used it for testing. If there should be any trouble with the protocolInfo tag, I can reset it to "no".

• Andreas Haberl
      Andreas Haberl
      2008-11-22

I received the MusicPal today. I had only time for a quick test, but the MusicPal recognized the mediatomb-server right away and played the mp3s smoothly.

And the protocolInfo tag is still set to "yes".

anderl