Menu

MediaTomb in Cygwin for Windows Distribution

2009-01-21
2013-05-30
  • Roberto Cano

Roberto Cano - 2009-01-21

Hi all!

Days ago I was very interested in a UPnP server for my Windows XP machine (yeah, I have Linux as well in my laptop, but one of my machines are WXP) and was trying to compile MediaTomb to serve contents for a PS3 I have. I downloaded all the Cygwin required packages, and some other in separate tgz that was not available from Cygwin repositories. I've compiled all the stuf leading with a MediaTomb.exe (statically linked to avoid problems) with libextractor, libexif, taglib, libjs and sqlite3 support. I've made a config.xml file to fit to my needs of serving contents to my PS3, although I think is versatile enough to fit to anyone purposes with minimal changes in the config.xml file. Also I've packed all the stuff in a .msi installer that will install MediaTomb in c:\MediaTomb (important, as the config file is pointing to this location). I though that maybe you, or some other people could need this stuff, so if you want to hold thos file in your servers, it will be great for me. I you don't, then let me know if you have any problem with me distributing this package.

Anyway, you are doing a great job with MediaTomb. Keep it on!

• Jin

Jin - 2009-01-22

Hi,

I also received some patch (need to integrate it though) that adds transcoding support to the cygwin version.

I did - sort of - plan to have a closer look at cygwin, but never had time to do it.

Could you drop me a mail or join us in IRC?

Kind regards,
      Jin

• Roberto Cano

Roberto Cano - 2009-01-24

Jin, I've sent to you an email to your sourceforge address. Have you received it?

Regards!

• Jin

Jin - 2009-01-24

Yes, thanks, I did not yet have time to answer.

Kind regards,
      Jin

• Roberto Cano

Roberto Cano - 2009-01-24

Ok, don't worry Jin. Only to know if my mail was sended ok.

Regards!

• AndyHat

AndyHat - 2009-01-26

What is the problem with transcoding in Cygwin?  I built Mediatomb, with curl support, etc., and my PS3 sees it, and tries to play, and ogg123 obviously runs, but then, something breaks with no real diagnostics.  If I hadn't happened to see a thread somewhere mentioning that transcoding just doesn't work in Cygwin I probably would have gone crazy trying to figure out what I was configuring wrong.

• Loraderon

Loraderon - 2009-01-28

Could you please put this msi somewhere so that people (me :-) can test it on windows?

Thanks

• Roberto Cano

Roberto Cano - 2009-01-28

Sure. Let me try some suitable hosting to upload the file (I think it will be MegaUpload) and I'll inform you through this thread. I'll very busy this week, so please be patience 'cause maybe it will take me some days to find a break in my agenda.

Regards!

• Roberto Cano

Roberto Cano - 2009-02-01

Here you have the link. Any comments will be welcomed.

I've prepared the package with an standard configuration, but maybe there are some mistakes or missing sections of the config file.

http://www.megaupload.com/es/?d=JY6Z2RU7

Thanks in advance for give it a try!

• Loraderon

Loraderon - 2009-02-01

I've tried tried to install it both in XP and Windows 7 but when I tried to start it I got the following error message: ERROR: Could not create directory /:\Documents and Settings\Me/MediaTomb : No such file or directory

Thanks

• Roberto Cano

Roberto Cano - 2009-02-02

Mmmm, strange. I've tried myself in XP, but I'll give it a second attempt. I'll keep you informed.

Regards!

• Roberto Cano

Yeah, I've found a problem with installation folder. Now I've fixed it and added two new shortcuts in Desktop folder. Once installed you can launch MediaTomb through the MediaTomb Server shortcut in Desktpo folder, wait some seconds (nor screen neither dialog will appear to confirm that application is launched, sorry) and then launch the MediaTomb Config shortcut. Your browser should open up with the configuration URL of MediaTomb.

I hope this works. Now I'm not able to upload the file to Megaupload, but I hope to get it uploaded before the end of the day.

Regards!

• Loraderon

Loraderon - 2009-02-02

Thanks, sounds great!

• Roberto Cano

Here is the new link.

Waiting for comments!

• Roberto Cano

• Loraderon

Loraderon - 2009-02-03

Awesome!

I haven't tried stuff like the import script and hd mp4 (will try it tonight) but it streams sd videos just fine! Thank you so much!

Which svn revision is this?

Btw, I'm running it on Windows 7 :-)

• Roberto Cano

Roberto Cano - 2009-02-03

Well, I got the version directly from the web page, so is version 0.11.0. Maybe there is newer versions in SVN,  nut I think this works well for now. Please, let me know how was the HD MP4 test this night!!!

Regards!

• Loraderon

Loraderon - 2009-02-03

This is soooo sweet!

I can now run mediatomb flawlessly on windows and stream mp4 hd to my ps3! Even the custom import script I have made works like a charm.

Thank you so much! I really hope that other people will benefit from this as well.

It would be great if you could provide some more detailed information on how you made this possible. Now that I know it is possible to build it on windows I would like to try it myself so that I maybe can add some patches to jin.

/Anders

• Roberto Cano

Roberto Cano - 2009-02-03

Thank you so much! I am happy that you find this usefull! :) I have all the stuff prepared in a .tgz with an script inside to make all compile. I am very busy now, but as soon as posible I'll try to upload all this huge file so you can compile it with Cygwin. I want also to prepare a little README that explains how to do the trick.

Once I have all of this prepared, I'll tell you where to download it, so you can toy with it! :)

Anyway, I'm having problems with some files when fast forwarding (there is another thread opened in this forum to discuss this topic) but I only want to know if this is working fine for you in the PS3.

Best regards!

• Roberto Cano

Roberto Cano - 2009-02-06

I've uploaded to my personal website a file with all the source code prepared to compile in Cygwin. Once downloaded, please read the header of the file compile.sh. In that header I've annotated all the packages that you must install in cygwin in order to get the project compiled. This are standard packages available from all the Cygwin repositories.

Once you have downloaded and installed that packages you can execute the compile.sh script and all the modules should compile without problems, leading with a mediatomb-0.11.0.tgz being created at the base directory of the source code. This tgz file contains all the files needed to run MediaTomb in windows. Only copy this files to a folder called MediaTomb in c:\ and you can run it. During compilation a file called .compile.log (hidden file) is created with all the compilation output so, if compilation fails, you can check this file.

If you want to clean all the stuff you can use clean.sh that cleans (with a distclean command) all the projects. This scripts also writes a .clean.log file in order to check what happened.

The compile.sh script configures, compiles, and install INTO YOUR CYGWIN INSTALLATION all the programs and libraries, so you may want to use an alternative installation of Cygwin to do the test so your original one doesn't get touched.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Here is the link:

http://www.gabriell.es/files/MediaTombDist.zip

Good luck!

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2010-04-22

@rcano

Could you re-upload the file?

It returns 404, not found.