Generic online video from RSS

Ei Kukaan
2010-05-05
2013-05-30
  • Ei Kukaan
    Ei Kukaan
    2010-05-05

Hi again!

Not sure if this has come up before, but what about generating a generic video from RSS feed online source? Should not be too bad as there are lot of video RSS players for phones etc. I'm personally really interested in getting TED talks in HD to my TV. For me the player is PS3. And getting the TED streams from mediatomb would be so much more interesting than for example the generic youtube :-)

• Jin
    Jin
    2010-05-05

The problem with a "generic" solution is, that all those rss feeds are different and that not all provide the information that is needed to play the file via UPnP. So basically you'd have to look at each feed individually.

You can adjust the playlist parsing js script to process specific rss feeds and basically achieve what you need.

• Ei Kukaan
    Ei Kukaan
    2010-05-05

Cool! That sounds generic enough ;-) Now, I really need to find hte manual from somewhere… hope there is an example somewhere. Thanks again.

• Jin
    Jin
    2010-05-05

Reading the scripting docs on http://mediatomb.cc is surely a good start…

• Ei Kukaan
    Ei Kukaan
    2010-05-05

I must be blind for not seeing the manual on the web-pages… (I'm sure it wasn't there when I last looked!!!) :-)

• Jin
    Jin
    2010-05-05

The manuals have been there for a couple of years ;) In addition they come with the source/package as text files.

• Ei Kukaan
    Ei Kukaan
    2010-05-05

Ok… I've been reading the manuals, but I seem to be stuck. All online seems to be limited to the certain services.
    My understanding is that I should modify playlist.js to read in the RSS feed and add the video files to the database. I think I can manage parsing the RSS XML file, but I'm stuck at understanding what to add to config.xml to call this playlist.js with the URL of the RSS? Of course, I can code the URL into the script, but how do I call the script? And how to call it periodically to update the list?

If there would be any example about using RSS feeds out there-- would be great starting point. (or am I still just blind as a bat?)

• Jin
    Jin
    2010-05-05

Well, it's not quite as you think, the playlists must be on disk, so you will need to come up with some script that will download the rss feeds for you and dump them into a directory which you could then watch using inotify. You also should give the rss feeds some special file name extension, say, .rss

The only thing you'd have to do in your config.xml is, add a mapping from .rss to playlist/rss - this is what you will be listening to in your playlist parser script.

• Samuel Penn
    Samuel Penn
    2010-05-12

What I did was write an external script (based on bashpodder, which is designed for downloading audio RSS feeds) which handled the RSS side of things, downloading the videos overnight as they became available and sticking them into a folder which was checked by MediaTomb. Didn't require anything special to be done in MediaTomb. Whether it's more efficient to do it this way or not I don't know, but it suited my needs.

• Jin
    Jin
    2010-05-13

This is surely the easiest and the more flexible solution, epsecially since it is easier to determine the mime type of the files when you already have them on your disk.

• Manu
    Manu
    2010-07-01

I face the same "problem" and have to parse the rss file by an external script. This would be very interesting if mediatomb could support podcasts… may be for futur dvpt?