Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Odd Behaviour: PS3, Speedtouch 585

G Davis
2008-01-31
2013-05-30
  • G Davis
    G Davis
    2008-01-31

I've experienced some odd behaviour with my setup; i thought i should post about it in case anyone else has a similar setup/problem.

My home network runs off an alcatel speedtouch 585 adsl modem/router. My gentoo/mediatomb is using a wired connection. This box exists to serve content to a ps3. However, when the playstation is connected wirelessly, it *always* fails to find the media server, despite being on the same subnet and all machines being able to see/ping each other happily. Switching the ps3 to a wired connection immediately succeeds.

If the mediatomb box had wifi i would test connecting both it and ps3 wirelessly, however i suspect that the router has problems with upnp over wifi for some reason?

Anyway, i can live with a wired connection so it's no problem, but produced some head scratching for a while.

• Jin
      Jin
      2008-02-01

I heard an odd story where someone hat do reset his router and then it started to work (was a different brand/model though). Maybe the router loses too many UDP packets, or does not let them through? UPnP discovery is done via the SSDP protocol that uses UDP multicast...

Kind regards,
      Jin