Video Container not being created on import

Tom V
2010-04-27
2013-05-30
  • Tom V
    Tom V
    2010-04-27

    Have version 0.12 svn 2018 and when I add a directory with .mpg files, I don't get the "automatically created video" container. Mediatomb is running on Ubuntu 9.10. Is this a known issue or any suggestions on how to work around this? I have deleted and readded the directory, even reinstalled via package manager. I *swear* it used to work.

    Thanks for any help/suggestions.

    Tom

     
  • Jin
    Jin
    2010-05-05

    I'd use 0.12.1 which is the latest released version.

    Anyway, if you did not mess around with your config.xml I'd think that the mime type of those files is not recognized correctly. Try locating them via PC Directory after import, then hit the edit icon on one of those files and check the mime type. If it does not start with video, then you found the problem.

    You can then try "file -i /one/of/those/files.mpg" to confirm that filemagick is not recognizing the file correctly. You could then add an extension to mime type mapping in the config.xml to force the video/mpeg mime type for all files with .mpg extension.

     
  • Tom V
    Tom V
    2010-05-10

    I have not messed around with the config.xml but will try adding a line in there for mpg file, I don't see one now. Will let you know how that goes. Thanks for the suggestion.

    Tom

     
  • Tom V
    Tom V
    2010-05-10

    Just tried the "file -i /file/to/be/played.mpg" and got "application/octet-stream; charset=binary" so that looks to me like it is being recognized?

    I might add that in an older version, this seemed to work, but something has happened in the meantime that it stopped. I suspect an update to a new version of mediatomb that is not a definite on my part, only a guess - not sure when it stopped working.

    Did add a line to config.xml:

    <treat mimetype="video/mpg" as="mpg"/>

    But that didn't turn out either.

    As you can tell, I am NOT a pro at this. <g>

    Thanks for anything further you can suggest.

    Tom

     
  • Jin
    Jin
    2010-05-10

    Just tried the "file -i /file/to/be/played.mpg" and got "application/octet-stream; charset=binary" so that looks to me like it is being recognized?

    No, that means - it's not being recognized, the result of this should be video/mpeg

    As you can tell, I am NOT a pro at this. <g>

    That's why everything is documented ;)

    In the extension-mimetype section you want:

    <map from="mpg" to="video/mpeg"/>
    

    Then remove all those mpg files from the database (you will find them in PC Directory, hit the "X" icon there), then import them again. You should see a difference now.

     

  • Anonymous
    2010-05-12

    I just wanted to add I saw this same behavior when I upgraded to Ubuntu 10.04 (I had upgraded to 0.12 before doing the Ubuntu upgrade and did not see this problem).  Right after I noticed all the missing mpg/mpeg files, I added the line described here and it fixed the problem, but I thought I'd echo the "something seems to have changed" sentiment.  But my experience would seem to point to something in Linux/filemagik like was mentioned earlier.

     
  • Tom V
    Tom V
    2010-05-15

    <map from="mpg" to="video/mpeg"/>

    Seems to have done it for me! Thank you VERY much!