Excluding directories from scanning by MT

yura
2008-10-10
2013-05-30
  • yura
    yura
    2008-10-10

Hi all!

When monitoring directories for changes using inotify the inotify thread seems to have a problem with subdirectories not accessible by the MT user - like with Linux/ext3 the "lost+found" directory.

A possibility to exclude directories based on e.g. a pattern would be nice as inotify is much more ressource-effective than the timed-scan approach (which works fine in this case).

As there are many subdirectories besides the "lost+found" it would be a pain to add all of them to the config.xml file.

Nevertheless MT is the best choice for me as it runs on Linux and works (almost) flawlessly with my PS3 - so thanks to the devs for this nifty tool. :)

Yours,
    yura

• Jin
      Jin
      2008-10-11

Hi,

such "exclude" lists are indeed not implemented, usually it's not a problem because people tend to store their media in some dedicated directories, where all subdirs only contain media and nothing else, so a recursive setting works just fine.

I do not think that we will add something like this anytime soon, but if you really want it you should submit a feature request to the tracker.

Btw, you know that you can set scan settings via the UI as well?

Thanks for the feedback :>

Kind regards,
      Jin

• yura
      yura
      2008-10-12

Hi,

I see you point about the exclude lists. I would have been a convenient way to work around organisational imperfections. :)
      As I have only some static directory locations I add the locations in the config.xml instead of using the UI to add each directory separately - which is what you referring to I guess.

But the (my) basic problem is, that the inotitfy thread will abort if it encounters a directory which can not be watched - e.g. like the 'lost+found' dirs.

A possibility to work around this (besides the exclude lists) would be to alter the function AutoscanInotify::threadProc() to continue (and skip) directories which can not be watched.

Currently only the following line is found in the log in such a case:
      2008-10-11 00:26:16   ERROR: Inotify thread caught exception: no permission

Instead one could log the directory not being able to watched to the log file and continue adding watches to the others.

I will file this on the tracker.

Yours,
      yura

• Jin
      Jin
      2008-10-12

Yes, I understand your problem but this is actually a bug which we are aware of, I just do not remember if it is already fixed or not, actually I think that it is still open but we have it on our list for 0.12.

Kind regards,
      Jin