Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Video Support

-DK-
2005-11-08
2013-05-30
  • -DK-
    -DK-
    2005-11-08

As I have mentioned in other threads, I'm new to the video world in a Linux environment. I am curious as to if there is anything that can be downloaded to add support for more types of video.

In Windows there are codec packs that can be installed which allow for all types of video to be run and watched.

I have noticed that more video plays on through my windows box than does on the linux box, when it comes to the DSM320.

Is this a limitation of Mediatomb itself or is there something that I can do on the OS side to allow for more variety of video playback?

• Jin
      Jin
      2005-11-08

The decoding of the videostream is done on your mediarenderer, so it does not really matter if the OS has any codecs installed or not (it would only matter if the server does transcoding)

There are two possibilities:
      Mimetypes are not recognized correctly: we are using filemagic to determine the mimetype of a file. I had a problem with FC4, that filemagic recognition of mpeg files was broken. I had to install file-4.15-1 package from the FC development release to get it to work.

Some UPnP servers under windows support transcoding, meaning: if your renderer can not play a specific format, the server will transcode the videostream to something your DSM320 can play. That of course requires some amounts of CPU power on your server. MediaTomb does not yet support transcoding, but this feature will be implemented at some point.

I can suggest a simple test: find a videofile that plays from your windows server, bud does not play from MediaTomb. In the MediaTomb UI, navigate to this file and hit the "Edit" icon, it will show you various information; look at the mimetype field - what value is entered there? If you see that it is something bogus, go to the shell and type: file -i yourvideofile - the value printed there will probably be the same as inside of MediaTomb. Depending on what file you are dealing with, you may either have the broken version of the "file" package, or filemagic simply does not yet recognize that kind of file. If you can't fix the problem in filemagic, you could add an extension to mimetype mapping to your MediaTomb's config.xml (look at the WMV entries there and take that as an example)

Please let me know if you found out what the problem was and if you were able to fix it.

Good luck,
      Jin

• -DK-
      -DK-
      2005-11-09

I remember now seeing the transcoding section in Tversity but not in the D-Link server. I'll give the "same file but different server" idea a try tonight. I think I"ll update the file package as well just for kicks.

I'll let you know what i figure out.

Thanks for the response :)

DK