Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Random Transcode Stream Changes

2010-01-03
2013-05-30
  • TheSoupDragon
    TheSoupDragon
    2010-01-03

I run mediatomb with 2 Netgear MP101s. They work very well but I regularly see them swap (apparently at random) between  my configured  transcoded mp3 streams. I have all the main BBC radio channels set up with VLC transcoding them to MP3 streams. So I'll have it on Radio1 and come back 2 hours later and find to on Radio 5 Live. I happens once every few hours. Has anybody else seen random stream changes this?

• Jin
    Jin
    2010-01-03

Is it possible that your container looks like that:

- Radio 1
    - Radio 5

When Radio 1 connection is interrupted the MP101 may treat is at "end of song" and simply continue with the next item which is Radio 5?

• TheSoupDragon
    TheSoupDragon
    2010-01-03

That's a very interesting suggestion but the latest example just happened a few minutes ago. It actually jumped backwards from Radio7 to Radio 5 Live. My list of streams (order as shown in the M/T web UI) is as follows:

Radio1

Radio2

Radio4

Radio5Live

Radio7

KissFM

(I'm not really a Radio3 kind of guy :-).

If it was confusing an end of stream and moving to the next track, is there a way to stop it?

thanks

• Jin
    Jin
    2010-01-03

That's indeed very weird, I can't think of anything we would do, that could cause such behavior so I'd suspect player side problems.

If you want to continue investigating, you cold do a wireshark log and try to reproduce the problem. The log should at least show how the player and the server are talking to each other and what is going on when this "jump" happens…

• TheSoupDragon
    TheSoupDragon
    2010-01-03

OK, I'll see if I can track down the player/server conversation at the time of a jump. It may take a while…

• Jin
    Jin
    2010-01-04

Before you spend too much time in trying to get a log for this I want to point out that I think it will be a player side problem and we will probably not be able to fix it. But it would nevertheless be interesting to understand what is going on there.