Help
alpduhuez
2013-10-09
2013-11-05
  • alpduhuez
    alpduhuez
    2013-10-09

Hello!
    I have been using the .dll in my app where we look for specific fields on media. We also use the .Inform API. A request came through from my customer wanting the exact data from Inform that they see when they use MediaInfo from the command line.

My question is, what are the default properties read in the command line?

Also, 1 more that is unrelated. Can MediaInfo work on a fragment of a file? I am thinking of only reading parts of files to get analysis sometimes when possible.

Thanks!
    -alp

Last edit: alpduhuez 2013-10-09
  • The command lines uses the exact output from MediaInfo::Inform() with no option. Doesn't it fit your needs?

• alpduhuez
    alpduhuez
    2013-10-28

Yes, the Inform does meet our needs. Thanks for the clarification.

One other question, are there any particular cases where the entire file is required for analysis, besides scanning for CC streams? Do any codec or format require the whole file?

I am looking and deliberately only providing MediaInfo with part of the file. It would be nice to know how much of the file I need to provide.

Thanks!

• One other question, are there any particular cases where the entire file is required for analysis, besides scanning for CC streams? Do any codec or format require the whole file?

It depends of the container format, how built is the file and what you are looking for.
    For example:
    - Some MOV files have the header at the end of the file, you need the whole file
    - MPEG-TS duration is computing from timestamp (begin and end), you'll get wrong duration with truncated files (you'll get the duration of the partial file)

There is no guaranty with truncated files, but I know that several people use MediaInfo on truncated files.

You can also use the "by buffer" API, available with some languages (C, C++, C#...), you can check the example in C# (String ExampleWithStream()), such API permits to interact with MediaInfo, it will says when it does not need anymore of data (or when a seek is needed). This API is currently not officially supported (less support about this API than with classic MediaInfo), work in progress.

Last edit: Jerome Martinez 2013-10-29
  • alpduhuez
    alpduhuez
    2013-11-05

Cool, thanks for the help Jerome!