Help
Lior Bahr
2013-06-13
2014-04-13
  • Lior Bahr
    Lior Bahr
    2013-06-13

Hi Jerome,

Do you plan on improving Dolby E detection? Right now, most Dolby E files coming in are not detected by MediaInfo.
    Would be great to be able to know which PCMs are actually Dolby E in order to automate the workflow of Dolby E decoding.

Lior

• Dolby E files coming in are not detected by MediaInfo.

???
    I have thousands of Dolby E streams in my database, correctly detected, I have several companies using it on order to automate their workflow and/or demux the stream for their Dolby E decoder.

Known supported containers:
    Dolby E in MXF (both in stereo PCM or in 2 mono PCM)
    Dolby E in GXF (both in stereo PCM or in 2 mono PCM)
    Dolby E in LXF (both in stereo PCM or in 2 mono PCM)
    Dolby E in QuickTime (both in stereo PCM or in 2 mono PCM)
    Dolby E in MPEG-TS (SMPTE ST 302)
    Dolby E in MPEG-PS (SMPTE ST 302)
    Dolby E in WAV
    Raw SMPTE ST 331 streams
    All of them in 16/20/24 bit, Little or Big endian (some limitations are present due to container limitation, not MediaInfo)

The only known issue in MediaInfo v0.7.63 is the detection of very rare 24-bit (Little Endian) Dolby E, corrected, for next release.

If you have files with missing Dolby E detection, please provide some samples.

Last edit: Jerome Martinez 2013-06-13
  • Lior Bahr
    Lior Bahr
    2013-06-13

Here are an MXF and a Quicktime Reference with its Dolby E AIFF.
    I used HxD to leave the first 250k of the MXF and AIFF, so let me know if you need more bytes.

Attachments
  • I see Dolby E data in the 3 files, they are enough.
    AIFF is not yet supported, but it can be.
    MOV and MXF should be supported, I'll check.

• Lior Bahr
    Lior Bahr
    2013-06-18

Thanks Jerome, let me know if you need more samples.

• I am interested in as many examples as you can provide, because I have only few samples on my side.

About your files:
    - AIFF (and the MOV which references AIFF): I added support of Dolby E in AIFF (patch). Your file has a major issue, Dolby E frames are not aligned on the bit depth of the PCM stream (the frame start is at the lower bits of a PCM sample and continue in the higher bits of the next PCM sample). I also added detection of such cases for AIFF (for other containers, I continue to test only PCM sample boundaries) until I got streams with simlar issue in the other containers.
    - MXF: your file does not use the correct EssenceCompression key: it use the "Uncompressed Sound Coding" EssenceCompression key instead of "SMPTE 338M Audio Coding" EssenceCompression key. I added detection of Dolby E even if the EssenceCompression key is "Uncompressed Sound Coding" (patch)

• Lior Bahr
    Lior Bahr
    2013-06-22

Hi Jerome,

Please find attached another AIFF sample that I think is different from the last one.

Attachments
  • the 2nd AIFF is same as the first one, no problem.

• Lior Bahr
    Lior Bahr
    2014-03-30

Hi Jerome,

I have found another Dolby E in AIFF which isn't detected by MediaInfo.
    It can be decoded properly via 2 different pro hardware decoders.

Attached is a stitch of the first and last 250K.

Hope this helps.

Lior

Attachments
  • I have found another Dolby E in AIFF which isn't detected by MediaInfo.

The Dolby E stream is a bit too far (after the first 0.1 second).
    I added detect up to 1 second.
    It is OK now in v0.7.68+