How to get bitrate of *.flv video?

Help
Thomas
2014-09-01
2014-10-25
  • Thomas
    Thomas
    2014-09-01

When I drag a Flash Video *.flv video onto MediaInfo then the info pane shows NO info about the corresponding video bitrate.

Why not?

Could MediaInfo be extended in the next release to display this information as well?

• When I drag a Flash Video *.flv video onto MediaInfo then the info pane shows NO info about the corresponding video bitrate.
    Why not?

Bit rate metadata is not mandatory in FLV, so I bet this metadata is not present in your files. MediaInfo supports most FLV bit rate metadata or can compute video bitrate if your audio stream is CBR but I bet you have a VBR audio stream (e.g. AAC). Ask your encoder to inject such metadata in the FLV header.

Could MediaInfo be extended in the next release to display this information as well?

When metadata is missing, the only way is to parse the whole file in order to get the bit rate, and this is already supported in CLI:
    mediainfo --ParseSpeed=1 YourFileName
    There is no short term plan to add the option to the GUI (GUI needs a complete review about options :( )

• Thomas
      Thomas
      2014-09-02

Hi Jerome,

you are right. My *.flv contains AAC. I do NOT have the original video source but got the video from other people. So I cannot tell encoder to inject metadata.

Is the cmdline ParseSpeed parameter an only-on-demand or ALWAYS-DO parse?
      For 98% of my videos a bitrate metadat information is provided. So I don't need a full parsing for them.

Do you know when GUI options rearrangement will take place?

Thank you
      Thomas

• Is the cmdline ParseSpeed parameter an only-on-demand or ALWAYS-DO parse?

Always-do for the moment. So you need to create a script on your own "if FLV and missing bitrate then parse again with full pass option".
        An more general option in MI could be added later, but there is a lot of work for a global view of the option.

Do you know when GUI options rearrangement will take place?

Absolutely no idea. It depends of how many paid requests I have (they have the priority) and how I can manage them. I can not do all in parallel :(

• BinaryFox
    BinaryFox
    2014-10-25

I usually use MediaInfo but switch to GSpot when examining FLV files. The latter does not show as much info as MediaInfo, but GSpot does offer info not included in MediaInfo; for example the sampling, bitrate and channels of audio in FLV files. It also shows the GOP structure as well PAR and DAR of most video files.