performance for MTS files is low

Vasilich
2013-01-21
2013-01-24
  • Vasilich
    Vasilich
    2013-01-21

I have a camcorder that produces video files in MTS format, AVCHD (1080i@25Hz) video and AC3(stereo) sound. And it takes up to 10 seconds to scan it with MediaInfo, even for small (30-50 MB) files.
    I use MediaPortal as player, and you can imagine that can i feel if i want to watch some of my home videos - every file start is delayed by 10 seconds. I can reproduce this on my desktop PC when scanning these files from MediaInfo GUI.
    Can you do anything to speed up MediaInfo for this file format? If you need sample file - let me know.

• MPEG-TS parsing duration is a known issue, but I am a bit surprised about your numbers.
    If I remember well the discussion with MediaPortal developers, they already configure MediaInfo for "fast" parsing, and even with "normal" parsing, it is only 2-3 seconds on my machine. Do you read the file from the network?

I plan to optimize it, I have some ideas but they are not easy to implement (MPEG-TS is a complex format), and I have several professional commitments for MediaInfo features, so I have no idea about when I will be able to work on this issue.

• Vasilich
    Vasilich
    2013-01-22

Thanks for fast reply.
    as i said, the issue is reproducible on my desktop PC also. No mediaportal, using MediaInfo GUI, and it takes 6 seconds for 40 MB AVCHD MTS file on AMD Phenom 4x2.6GHz.

Last edit: Vasilich 2013-01-22
  • I tested with my 24 Mbps AVCHD, 40 or 100 MB, and it is OK (less than 1 second for 40 MB, less than 3 seconds for 100 MB). But my HDD is very fast (300 MB/s), and I analyze lot of bytes. What is the throughput of your HDD?
    I'll try later to reduce the bytes consumed by the MPEG-TS analysis, but I have no ETA.