QuickTime Container display metadata

chrisj
2012-10-16
2012-12-11
  • chrisj
    chrisj
    2012-10-16

I would like to use MediaInfo to check the QuickTime container to make sure the display resolution (Current Resolution) matches the video resolution. There are times when someone modified the display resolution in QuickTime by accident and saved the file. For example if you opened a 1920x1080 DNxHD file in QuickTime and set the view as Half size and save the file, the quicktime file displays at 960x540 the next time I open it. If I inspect the file with MediaInfo and display all metadata for the container, I can't tell if the file displays at 960x540.

• I already read the matrix (e.g. for rotation), but I don't keep the display resolution. By curiosity, why is it useful?
    Computing values is not complicated, the biggest issue is about how to display it in the output, it is already a mess between encoded size, visible size (mainly from MXF), clean aperture size… I would need to study how to display all theses sizes.

You can add a feature request here:
    https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=86862&atid=581184

• chrisj
    chrisj
    2012-10-17

It would be useful because sometimes I do run into files that have been re-sized this way. The problem for me is that the transcoder I use reads the matrix for the display size and if HD has been re-sized to my example size, the transcoder opens the video as if it was 960x540 and scales it to 1920x1080. I was hoping to use MediaInfo to catch assets to be corrected before passing to the transcoder.

I'll put in a feature request. Thanks!

• if HD has been re-sized to my example size, the transcoder opens the video as if it was 960x540 and scales it to 1920x1080

Wow… bad transcoder!