Menu

Is the duration of individual streams within Matroska too difficult to determine?

ndjamena
2014-01-31
2014-02-02
  • ndjamena

ndjamena - 2014-01-31

All the stream durations are the same as the file duration no matter how varied the stream durations actually are. It makes identifying problem streams difficult while they're skewing the overall file duration to beyond the playable length.

• Jerome Martinez

Jerome Martinez - 2014-01-31

I try to provide duration per stream when it is available.
    Which format are you talking about?

• ndjamena

ndjamena - 2014-02-01

Matroska, sorry it was part of the subject heading and I forgot to add it to the post as well. I can't find any file that shows different timings for the streams, even if I create my own files with deliberately wacky lengthed streams. I understand if it's not possible but I'm still learning which fields have valid data inside, it can get confusing when the data given is incorrect.

• Jerome Martinez

Jerome Martinez - 2014-02-02

sorry it was part of the subject heading

ho ho... My fault.
    Matroska has no header about duration, so it is not obvious to provide this information. Currently, it is definitely quick and dirty and only one duration (the global duration) is provided.

Exact duration per stream is a feature which should be implemented, in order to catch rare cases each stream has a different duration, but Matroska parsing is not a priority currently for me (the main developer). If someone is motivated to provide a patch...