Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Building without GUI

John Nagle
2007-03-13
2013-05-01
  • John Nagle
    John Nagle
    2007-03-13

I'd like to build just the command-line tools on a Fedore Core 6 server that doesn't have any of the Gnome stuff.  Is there some easy way to do this?  Thanks.

• Brian Bruns
      Brian Bruns
      2007-03-16

The configure script should detect that you don't have gnome and build without it.  You will need to have glib2 as it is used in the library and utilities.

• John Nagle
      John Nagle
      2007-03-19

Doesn't work.

I'm starting from the release version, not the CVS version, and I'm trying to build on a Fedora Core 6 server.

First, the build failed.  I found the bad declaration mentioned in Bug #1563144 that everybody hits, and patched the source code per the bug report.

Then I had to install "glib2" and "glib2-devel". 

Then the build failed by trying to invoking "yacc".  The requirements listing doesn't mention "yacc", and says that "bison" is optional.  But that's not correct; the "configure" script is trying to substitute "yacc" for Bison,
      and if you have neither, the build will fail.

So I installed "bison", "bison-devel", and "flex".  The build got further, but still fails:

/bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=link gcc  -g -O2 -DSQL   -o mdb-sql  mdb-sql.o ../libmdb/libmdb.la ../sql/libmdbsql.la -lglib-2.0   -lncurses -lreadline -lfl
      gcc -g -O2 -DSQL -o .libs/mdb-sql mdb-sql.o  ../libmdb/.libs/libmdb -lm ../sql/.libs/libmdbsql -lglib-2.0 -lncurses -lreadline -lfl -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib
      ../sql/.libs/libmdbsql: undefined reference to `yylex'
      ../sql/.libs/libmdbsql: undefined reference to `yyerror'

It looks like "src/sql/lex.yy.c" did get generated, but was never compiled.

Has anyone ever successfully built this thing in recent years?

• >>>
        /bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=link gcc -g -O2 -DSQL -o mdb-sql mdb-sql.o ../libmdb/libmdb.la ../sql/libmdbsql.la -lglib-2.0 -lncurses -lreadline -lfl
        gcc -g -O2 -DSQL -o .libs/mdb-sql mdb-sql.o ../libmdb/.libs/libmdb -lm ../sql/.libs/libmdbsql -lglib-2.0 -lncurses -lreadline -lfl -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib
        ../sql/.libs/libmdbsql: undefined reference to `yylex'
        ../sql/.libs/libmdbsql: undefined reference to `yyerror'
        <<<

I ran into this problem also. Ultimately, I solved this by installing the proper RPMS (Bison, Flex, etc).

However, I also discovered that 'make clean' and 'make dist-clean' aren't removing everything. The workaround is to delete the build directory, and 'tar xf mdbtools-0.6pre1.tar.gz' again. I got stuck on this for hours... arg.