Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Access 2.0 MEMO fields

2011-06-02
2013-05-01
  • Trevor Burton
    Trevor Burton
    2011-06-02

I'm trying to use mdbtools to open files created in an application called MediaLab. I discovered the files it creates are Microsoft Access format and then discovered mdbtools.

mdb-export gives me back all the data from the files bar one field. CVS format returns an empty string ("") and adding the -I flag shows that field is coming back as NULL.

A bit of investigation shows that the field in question is a 'MEMO' field

A bit more investigation shows that the files are actually in Microsoft Access 2.0 format.

So, my question is, is there a way of getting the data out of these MEMO fields?

The alternative is to give the client a huge set of instructions for opening the files in Access (or some other 'mdb viewer') and exporting the files manually as cvs, xml etc and then bringing them into the application i'm creating. This is far from ideal - i was hoping mdbtools would give me a command-line solution i can build into the application.

I'm not familiar with Access and not sure whether the MEMO thing is an artifact of the old version or something i'm missing from the mdb-export command.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks