Trouble installing package rjags on Mac with R 3.1.0

Help
2014-05-07
2014-09-07
  • I hear from people who use Macintosh computers that they cannot install package rjags on a Mac running R 3.1.0. Because I don't use a Mac myself, I cannot play around with it.

Is there a simple way to install rjags on a Mac running R 3.1.0, perhaps using install.packages() with explicit type and repos arguments? This is intended to keep things simple and one-step for newbies. Thanks in advance.

• Corey Sparks
    Corey Sparks
    2014-05-07

I'm using 3.1.0 on OSX 10.9 and can install it right out of the box using install.packages("rjags") from my fave mirror. On linux i've had to point the install.packages to the location of the jags binary. You don't know if they mac users have Xcode installed, do you?

• Martyn Plummer
      Martyn Plummer
      2014-05-07

Corey, did you compile everything yourself? There is no rjags binary package for Mavericks.

We need a new JAGS binary for Mavericks. The current one is built with gcc and is binary compatible with R built with clang.

• Martyn Plummer
    Martyn Plummer
    2014-05-07

... incompatible with R built with clang.

• So... that means presently there is no simple way for Mac users to install rjags with R3.1.0? but there will be soon? Or is R3.1.0 irrelevant, with it really being an issue with recent OSX-related clang/Mavericks/gcc stuff?

Thank you again -- there are lots of Mac users out there and JAGS is wonderful.

• Corey Sparks
    Corey Sparks
    2014-05-07

Ah, I can't install it if I'm using the R 3.1.0 version built for Mavericks, but the one built for snow leopard will let you install it. So John, if your users are running mac os, i'd have them install the snowleopard build of R 3.1.0, as that seems ok

• My Mac correspondent reports that snowleopard did the trick: "Just a follow-up... the suggestion from the JAGS discussion board to run R 3.1.0 built for snow leopard rather than mavericks sorted it out. Thanks again for the speedy assistance." Thanks from me too!

• Martyn Plummer
    Martyn Plummer
    2014-05-08

Thanks John. I sent a message to Bill Northcott, who I hope will be able to build a "native" binary for Mac OS X 10.9 soon. If not I will post a message on the blog advising people to stick with the Snow Leopard version of R.

• Nick Carchedi
      Nick Carchedi
      2014-05-15

Hi Martyn -- I'm just wondering if there are any updates on this. Thanks.

• Martyn Plummer
        Martyn Plummer
        2014-05-15

I have been in contact with Bill. It will be June before he is able to make a Mavericks build, I'm afraid, so you will need to be patient. The Snow Leopard build does work on Mavericks so you will need to use this workaround until then. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• Hao Ye
          Hao Ye
          2014-07-03

Building JAGS 3.4.0 from source and then installing Rjags 3.13 (also from source) seems to work for me.

• Mari
    Mari
    2014-09-04

Someone can help me? I still couldn't make it.

• Martyn Plummer
    Martyn Plummer
    2014-09-04

Sorry. The best advice I can give right now is still to install the Snow Leopard build of R which is compatible with the Mac OS X binary of JAGS and will allow you to install the rjags package.

I hope that a native Mavericks build of JAGS will be available soon.

• Matt Denwood
    Matt Denwood
    2014-09-04

If I may (cheekily) suggest an alternative - the runjags package will work with either clang (Mavericks) or gcc (SL) compiled JAGS/R (or a mixture of the two). You will be missing some functionality from the lack of rjags though.

Matt

• Matt Denwood
    Matt Denwood
    2014-09-07

Hi all

The OS X binaries of JAGS 3.4.0 are now available from the files page. There are two builds of JAGS - make sure you get the right one to correspond to your R build.

It might be a few days before rjags is available for the Mavericks build of R - we have to wait for CRAN to install the new version of JAGS on their build servers first. But I have already been in touch with them so hopefully it won’t be long.

If you have any problems with either build, please let me know through this forum (I guess this thread is as good a place as any).

Matt