Parallelization of JAGS

Marco
2013-04-29
2013-05-06
  • Marco
    Marco
    2013-04-29

Hi everyone
    Does anyone of you find a way to parallelize the jags execution?? I'm interested in parallelize the single MCMC computation(the computation of a single chain). I've find in the web the function jags.parallel, but this function is used to parallelize different chains in different cores. Because i use a large dataset, i need a way to parallelizeover multiple cores the updating(adapting) phases.
    Thanks everybody
    Marco

• Daniel Hocking
      Daniel Hocking
      2013-04-29

Hi Marco,

Here is what has worked best for me

library(parallel)

Run JAGS in parallel for improved speed

CL = makeCluster(3) # set number of clusters = to number of desired chains
      clusterExport(cl=CL, list("jdata", "params", "inits", "ymax")) # make data available to jags in diff cores
      clusterSetRNGStream(cl=CL, iseed=4321)

out <- clusterEvalQ(CL, {
      library(rjags)
      jm <- jags.model("habitat_random.txt", jdata, inits, n.adapt=100000, n.chains=1)
      fm <- coda.samples(jm, params, n.iter=10000, thin=10)
      return(as.mcmc(fm))

})

habitat.rand.list = mcmc.list(out) # group output from each core into one list
      stopCluster(CL)

plot(habitat.rand.list)
      par(mfrow=c(1,1))
      summary(habitat.rand.list)

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have questions.
      Cheers,
      Dan

Daniel J. Hocking
      114 James Hall
      Department of Natural Resources & the Environment
      University of New Hampshire
      Durham, NH 03824

dhocking@unh.edu
      Office: (603)-862-1408
      http://danieljhocking.wordpress.com/

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known" - Carl Sagan

On Apr 29, 2013, at 12:59 PM, Marco ciabo89@users.sf.net wrote:

Hi everyone
      Does anyone of you find a way to parallelize the jags execution?? I'm interested in parallelize the single MCMC computation(the computation of a single chain). I've find in the web the function jags.parallel, but this function is used to parallelize different chains in different cores. Because i use a large dataset, i need a way to parallelizeover multiple cores the updating(adapting) phases.
      Thanks everybody
      Marco

Parallelization of JAGS

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in https://sourceforge.net/p/mcmc-jags/discussion/610036/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Daniel Hocking
      Daniel Hocking
      2013-04-29

I Marco,

Sorry, after I sent it, I realized that I mis-interpreted your question. I am not sure how to parallelize a single chain.

Best of luck,
      Dan

Daniel Hocking
      djhocking@gmail.com

http://www.nerunningservices.com
      http://danieljhocking.wordpress.com/

On Apr 29, 2013, at 12:59 PM, Marco ciabo89@users.sf.net wrote:

Hi everyone
      Thanks everybody
      Marco

Parallelization of JAGS

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in https://sourceforge.net/p/mcmc-jags/discussion/610036/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Marco
    Marco
    2013-04-30

Hi Daniel
    Thank you for your reply. Even if you don't know how to parallelize the system for a single chain, maybe you know how to import data files into R object. I've the jags data file, in a txt format, formed by something similar to:

"a"<-2
    "D"<-30
    "M"<-10
    "N"<-10
    "mu_0"<-c(0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, ..... , 0)
    "a_p"<-
    structure(c(1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, ..... , 0.0, 1.0)
    .Dim=c(30, 30))
    "a_g"<- ....

Do you know how i can import this txt file into R in order to use it as data for the MCMC phase?? The same is for the init file.
    Thank you so much.
    Marco

• Martyn Plummer
    Martyn Plummer
    2013-04-30

R> library(rjags)
    R> help(read.jagsdata)

• Marco
    Marco
    2013-05-01

Thank you very much Martyn!

• mark pahuta
    mark pahuta
    2013-05-01

The R dclone library has functions designed for running JAGS in parallel. It also handles random number generation properly.

I've attached the code I use to run it.

Attachments
  • Marco
    Marco
    2013-05-03

Thanks mark. However, as for the other suggestion, also your solution parallelize different chains.

• mark pahuta
      mark pahuta
      2013-05-03

Since JAGS uses MCMC, you can't run a single chain on different cores, as each step depends on the previous.

What you can do is run fewer iterations on multiple cores, and then combine them after each is in the stationary distribution. Although this wont help with the updating phase

• Marco
        Marco
        2013-05-03

Thanks Mark for your time, i really appreciate this.
        However, i would like to ask you something more.
        I'm trying to using JAGS for a problem similar to the Matrix Factorization. So I've a big sparse matrix. I'm trying to fit the model, but i can not use the nesting format, because I would like to estimate the unknown variables. However this make the computation very slow(the matrix is 1000*1000 more or less, the time required for 100000 adapt iterations is 2 days without adaptation completeness). Have you got any hint to make the computation faster??
        Thank you a lot
        Marco

• Martyn Plummer
    Martyn Plummer
    2013-05-06

The problem is with the computational complexity of matrix factorization, which is generally of O(n^3), so a 1000*1000 matrix is going to be painfully slow. But your matrix is sparse, so you really want access to efficient sparse matrix factorization. Such algorithms exist, and are used internally by the GLM module, but are not yet available to the user.

In the future, it would be useful to have, for example, a version of the multivariate normal distribution where the precision matrix is given in compressed column format. But this is for a future version.

• Marco
    Marco
    2013-05-06

And what about the GPU computing? Have you ever tryed to use the GPU with large datasets? I've found, for instance, the R-gpu and gputools package but I'm not sure that can be used with Jags..

• Marco
    Marco
    2013-05-06

And what about the GPU computing? Have you ever tryed to use the GPU with large datasets? I've found, for instance, the R-gpu and gputools package but I'm not sure that can be used with Jags..