Dear developers and maintainers of Maxima,
I ran into the following problem. Trying to solve this equation
solve([z/(z-1) = (z-x)/y, (z-x)/y = y/(z-y), y/(z-y) = (z-y)/(y-1)], [x,y,z]);
fails after taking a long time (a few minutes) and a lot of memory. It eventually crashes with the message:
Maxima encountered a Lisp error: Error in PROGN [or a callee]: The storage for CONS is exhausted. Currently, 39989 pages are allocated. Use ALLOCATE to expand the space. Automatically continuing. To enable the Lisp debugger set *debugger-hook* to nil.
However, mindbogglingly, if I rewrite it this way:
eqs = [z/(z-1) = (z-x)/y, (z-x)/y = y/(z-y), y/(z-y) = (z-y)/(y-1)]; solve(eqs, [x,y,z]);
it computes without any difficulties:
I ran into this indirectly, when using Sage. I guess Sage asks Maxima to solve this in the first form and thus hangs itself. I tried this with Maxima 5.22.1 on Mint and with sagenb.org, which reports Sage version 5.4.