Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

#93 Poor quality rendering in Opera 10.61

closed-fixed
nobody
5
2010-08-27
2010-08-27
Mark New
No

The rendering of MathJax equations in Opera 10.61 on the Mac has issues: spacing is incorrect on occasion, fraction lines are longer than they should be -- see the attached screenshots. This affects both web font and image rendering.

User Agent: Opera/9.80 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X; U; en) Presto/2.6.30 Version/10.61

Tested against SVN 592 and the version of MathJax installed on the website. Although I can't attach screenshots at this time, I can confirm that this also affects the Windows version of Opera 10.61.

Discussion

  • Mark New
    Mark New
    2010-08-27

    screenshot of test/index.html in SVN 592

     
    Attachments
  • Mark New
    Mark New
    2010-08-27

    screenshot of test/index-images.html in SVN 592

     
    Attachments
  • It does look like 10.61 has introduced something that is causing MathJax to not measure the widths of things properly.

    I'll look into it and get back to you.

    Davide

     
    • status: open --> open-accepted
     
  • OK, it turns out that 10.61 introduced a bug that causes it not to properly handle font-size changes in some circumstances. The exact conditions that trigger the bug are not entirely clear to me (and I couldn't reduce it to a simple test case, but do have a very complicated case where it definitely occurs). Anyway, the upshot is that MathJax wasn't able to determine the em-size properly, and so was leaving the wrong amount of space for things.

    I have worked around it in VN 594. Let us know if you see any other problems.

    Davide

     
    • status: open-accepted --> closed-fixed
     
  • Mark New
    Mark New
    2010-08-28

    Thanks for the rapid fix! All of the major problems seem to have been solved.

    I have noticed one small rendering bug (compared to Safari): in the following TeX code (taken from "The Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality" in test/sample.html) the superscript '2' is still too far from the right parenthesis. All other superscripts in the sample file (and my own TeX examples) seem to be fine though.

    \left( \sum_{k=1}^n a_k b_k \right)^{\!\!2}

     
  • OK, I confirm the issue, and will have to look into it. This is a more significant problem, and in parts of the code that I don't change lightly. I think it only occurs when there is negative space at the beginning of a positioned item like the superscript, so it probably won't show up often, but should be checked more thoroughly.

    Davide