Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Mars Simulation Project 3.01 Released

2011-09-26
2012-11-16
  • Scott Davis
    Scott Davis
    2011-09-26

    I'm happy to announce that Version 3.01 of the Mars Simulation Project
    has been released.

    http://mars-sim.sf.net

    Changes in version 3.01 include:

    Settlement map tool:
    * The tiled background texture now drags, rotates, and zooms with the map.
    * The Labels button can toggle on/off (Lars)
    * Building labels on the map now have white semi-transparent outline
    to show up better against backgrounds.
    * Prerendering SVG images to improve settlement map display performance.

    Local save/log directory changed from "mars-sim" to hidden ".mars-sim".
    Adding several new mission info panels to the mission tool.
    New areothermal power generation function for buildings that generate
    power only in volcanic regions.
    Seven new types of buildings with SVG images including all construction stages.
    Two new settlement templates: trading outpost and mining outpost.
    Lots of bug fixes and performance improvements.

    Special thanks to the project developers who put a lot of time and
    effort on this release:

    Lars Christensen
    Jonathan Bosmans

    Please download and enjoy,

    Scott Davis
    Mars Simulation Project
    http://mars-sim.sourceforge.net
    scud1@users.sourceforge.net

     

  • Anonymous
    2011-09-27

    I can only create a new simulation when I choose nothing but the default amount of settlements. Whenever I try to add a new settlement, the creation process stops at "Creating new simulation…". Is this supposed to happen?

     
  • Raul
    Raul
    2011-09-27

    P.S.: Sorry about the user name in the above message, this is my real account.

     
  • Scott Davis
    Scott Davis
    2011-09-28

    That's strange, Raul.  I tested this bug out but was unable to replicate it.  I could create a new simulation with several more settlements than default, less settlements, or no settlements, and it would always create and start the new simulation.  Sometimes it would take a number of seconds with the "Creating new simulation" dialog before it starts, but the dialog would eventually disappear indicating the new simulation has started.  This amount of time might be dependent on your computer's performance.  It does some computationally heavy calculations at the beginning of a simulation and that might be causing a delay.

    If you have a chance, could you try to replicate the problem with fewer settlements in a new simulation?  Thanks for letting me know about this.

    Scott

     
  • Raul
    Raul
    2011-09-30

    I can create a new simulation just fine with less settlements than default (tested with 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 settlements). 7 settlements (default) also works. But, when I try to add at least one new settlement (8 total settlements, for example), no deal. Also, when I try to create a new simulation with no settlements, the program stops responding as soon as the creation process finishes. One last thing: sometimes when I try to create a new simulation the program stops responding when I click the "Yes" button on the "Do you really want to create a new simulation…" dialog.

    Here are my system specs:

    Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    4GB RAM
    Windows 7 64
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 GPU

     
  • Scott Davis
    Scott Davis
    2011-10-10

    I was able to test the simulation on a Windows 7 64 system with webstart and I was able to replicate some of the problems you listed.  I'm going test further on that system and see if I can understand the issues and resolve them.

    Thanks for your help,

    Scott

     
  • Scott Davis
    Scott Davis
    2012-02-21

    I worked on this a bit a go with a runtime memory profiler and was able to see a memory leak whenever a new simulation was created or loaded.  The application was still referencing the old simulations somewhere in the code and they weren't getting garbage collected.  I went through and put destroy methods in the simulation classes and made sure all of the collections were getting properly cleared out from old simulations.

    In my testing with the profiler and running it on various systems, it looks like this memory leak is fixed now and there are no other new/load sim issues.  This fix will be in the 3.02 release (hopefully done soon).

    Thanks for helping me find this bug.

    Scott