MailManager on Debian Etch

2006-08-11
2013-06-04
  • Mark Pavlichuk
    Mark Pavlichuk
    2006-08-11

I've tried MailManager on Debian Testing (ie. Etch) and I thought I'd share my experiences.

Apt-getable packages are :

* zope2.8 (dependancy issues prevent use of zope2.9 or zope3 with some of the other mailmanager prerequisites).
    * zope-cookiecrumbler
    * zope-epoz
    * python-egenix-mxdatetime
    * zope-pts (ie. PlacelessTranslationService)
    * zope-stripogram

And available database packages :
    * zope-psycopgda
    * python-mysqldb

** Missing **
    = FileSystemSite (essential)
    = TimerServer (optional)
    = ZopeScheduler (optional)
    = ZMySQLDA (required for MySQL)

So there is only one essential package that isn't already part of etch (providing you're using Postgresql).

I'm out of time right now...  will add to this thread later to talk about particulars.

-Mark

• Andrew Veitch
      Andrew Veitch
      2006-08-11

We're going to officially get rid of TimerServer and ZopeScheduler - they just haven't been very reliable. Also pytz is a new requirement which needs to be added to the list.

Some work has already been done on the Debian package, if you look in Subversion. I would like to get it finished when we've got some time; MailManager is currently quite tricky to install.

Andrew

• Mark Pavlichuk
        Mark Pavlichuk
        2006-08-11

Luckily a pytz package is also available in etch, so to add to the list :

* python-tz (pytz)

...and as for reliability issues with timerservice and ZopeScheduler, perhaps it's similar to what's happening here.  I've followed the instructions (including INSTALL.txt) and I guess TimerService is working OK, but ZopeScheduler doesn't appear as a Product and there are errors in the log...  some log excerpts follow :

** Some ZopeScheduler warnings :

------
        2006-08-10T17:06:57 WARNING Init Class Products.ZopeScheduler.ZopeScheduler.Zope
        Scheduler has a security declaration for nonexistent method 'formatTasks'
        ------
        2006-08-10T17:06:57 WARNING Init Class Products.ZopeScheduler.ZopeScheduler.Zope
        Scheduler has a security declaration for nonexistent method 'formatTasks'
        ------

** ...but the TimerService seems to be ticking away nicely.

------
        2006-08-10T18:01:18 INFO TimerService Ttimer tick at Thu Aug 10 18:01:18 2006

------

-Mark

• Kevin Campbell
        Kevin Campbell
        2006-08-11

I'll add to this regarding the debian packaging. There is a preliminary debian package in svn, which you can build and test. It should install mailmanager as a separate zope instance, configured using the debconf supplied details. The package isn't complete, but may provide a starting point for anyone looking at this. Hopefully I can complete a package for etch by next friday, in which case it would be helpful to get some 3rd party testing done.

K

• Mark Pavlichuk
          Mark Pavlichuk
          2006-08-12

I can help, though I'm new to MailManager, so a list of functionality to test would be useful (if you think there could be problems besides dependancy/installation issues).

-Mark

• Mark Pavlichuk
          Mark Pavlichuk
          2006-08-30

Just messaging again to say I'm still fine with testing a deb on a spare box if/when required (although I already have MailManager working fine).

-Mark

• Mark Pavlichuk
      Mark Pavlichuk
      2006-08-12

I mentioned dependancy issues /w supporting package/s under zope2.9 & zope3...  I've looked at it again, and the package causing the problems is zope-stripogram.  I think I've read reports of MailManager running on Zope2.9, so I guess stripogram runs fine on 2.9(???)  If this is the case perhaps someone could raise a bug report against the Debian etch package here : http://packages.debian.org/testing/web/zope-stripogram

• Andrew Veitch
        Andrew Veitch
        2006-08-12

I've just had a look at the MailManager code and although we do import from stripogram the code isn't used anywhere!

So I'll just remove the imports and then we can remove stripogram as a dependancy. The fewer dependancies MailManager has the better.

Andrew