From: rob pfile <pfile@ri...> - 2006-08-22 22:15:03
well, i'm not quite sure how i got this working, but i did.
1) installed RHEL4 update 4 onto a fresh hard disk on a mac pro.
2) hangs on grub stage2.
3) googled around, decided i needed to upgrade grub.
- tried to build grub from source, but somehow didnt have gcc or
bison installed... so...
4) downloaded grub-0.97-11.x86_64.rpm via rpmfind.net (this is for
fedora but i figure its mostly the same)
5) booted RHEL4 disc 1 in "linux rescue" mode - luckily eth0 came up.
6) copied grub to mac pro, extracted files with rpm2cpio
7) ran grub-install
rebooting at this point still resulted in a hang at stage2. given
that the installer CDs use lilo, i thought i'd try installing lilo.
8) downloaded latest lilo binaries
9) installed lilo, created /etc/lilo.conf based on something i saw
googling for "lilo RHEL"
at this point, i got pretty unscientific. i ran lilo with a number of
options, including lilo -A /dev/sda and lilo -M /dev/sda.
i rebooted... and to my surprise, grub loaded okay and booted the
i'm not sure what i did with lilo to fix grub. maybe someone here can
shed some light on this.