Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Ubuntu 11.04

Anonymous
2011-05-03
2013-04-23

• Anonymous
    2011-05-03

Anyone test it with 11.04?

Any plan on make a new version soon. From the screen shot it does look amazing.

Thanks in advance!

• Jan Komadowski
    Jan Komadowski
    2011-05-05

Sorry for the break, but I had a lot of work. I'm back, so maybe the new version, next week?

Unfortunately, I have a few bad news for those who expect great changes from Macbuntu. The interface remains the same, it means that Unity will be disabled. I love Compiz 3D Cube and I can not live without it ;)

Three different types of installations:
    1. Minimal - Standard options, Compiz is disabled,
    2. Standard - like Mac OS X, Desktop Wall,
    3. Max - Full Compiz support, 3D Cube, Wobbly Windows, Scale, etc.

What's new in version 2.4:
    - Nautilus Elementary,
    - Macbuntu GTK theme based on KDE4-Oxygen and GTK Leopard,
    - Docky or Cairo-Dock,
    - Glippy,
    - Screensavers,

maybe:
    - Google Gadgets,
    - Gloobus Preview,

If disable of Unity, you think is a bad idea, or you have some cool ideas, We waiting for suggestions :)

• Quellschmied
    Quellschmied
    2011-05-06

I think, any decision that brings us close to the look & feel of OSX but with the freedom of Linux is a good decision.

Important for me is that Macbuntu is some kind of an add-on. What I mean by that is that it should be possible to install Ubuntu and to add Macbuntu later. Or that it should be possible to install Macbuntu as a distribution and to downgrade to Ubuntu later. I like the idea of Macbuntu being able to operate in three modes: Ubuntu standard, OSX-like, OSX-like plus more features. I think that's what you wrote above. The new GDM (or isn't it GDM?) makes it even easier to define sessions so it shouldn't be so hard to accomplish. :-)

Most important thing for me is the ability to update from Ubuntu repositories and major version upgrade possibility so that you can install your system an update and upgrade from time to time but basically that you can use the installation over the next years without compromising on up-to-dateness.

These are just suggestions and thoughts. You guys do a terrific job anyway! :-)

• srivatsa1
    srivatsa1
    2011-05-25

Hi:
    I just tried it out and it looks FANTASTIC. Thanks a lot. I have a couple of requests.
    1) the GRUB installer part is BROKEN. When you choose to install in another partition, it wipes out the boot entiries and nothing comes up properly for the Windows(XP/7) entries.

Is there a way you could give instructions/script on how you create the ISO? I would be happy to test it out and offer the alternate installer ISO back to you if you like (have 2 laptops and a desktop), so can test it out somewhat and give feedback,.

I am mentioning this because, I lost better part of a week just getting back to where I was and lost some time because of this.

• Jan Komadowski
    Jan Komadowski
    2011-05-26

@ srivatsa1

About what ISO you say?
    This is Macbuntu, not Macbuntu-ISO project. If you have questions about this particular project, please visit this site http://sourceforge.net/projects/macbuntu-iso/

• Paul
    Paul
    2011-05-30

Hi,

My Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal looks like: http://i54.tinypic.com/2rmmnoz.jpg

love Paul

• Anonymous
    2011-06-13

Where can I get the version for 11.04? All I see on the site is for 10.10.

• Per Hejndorf
    Per Hejndorf
    2011-07-07

Got it running quite easily with a Windows install (Wibu) Ubuntu.  I edited the version number as described here: http://langit.wordpress.com/2011/06/04/install-macbuntu-in-ubuntu-11-04/

However no wobbly windows, and no "cubed" desktops & docky has to be started manually (Alt-F2). Other than that just the pleasure of a free OSX experience :)

• Suilenrock
    Suilenrock
    2011-07-17

Hi There,

It is great to know that you're back!

We love your work and can't wait when the new version that support Natty Narwhal will be ready. I personally doesn't like unity. Macbuntu still the best theme I use. Few people suggest use the trick like advised at this site. It is a working trick. I use it for now but many features like what you mention does not work.

Just another request, it would cool if OSX Lion looks and feel be also there.

I hope the new version will be ready soon.

• kartook
    kartook
    2012-01-30

I am one of the great addict of your Macbuntu project for long years .Still i love to use your tranformers pack .So i dont want to upgrade my Ubuntu Still i am stick in to 10.10  .

Nice to know u r back .

Expecting 11.10 compatible version … Which is like same gnome2 .. is also good ..

Please please do something for ubuntu 11.10 version

Advance thanks
    Kartook

• cosmo
    cosmo
    2012-01-30

I'm all for dumping Unity. Make that insidious thing go away! I'm guessing that those of us using 11.10 need to install gnome-panel prior to installing Macbuntu?

• cosmo
    cosmo
    2012-01-30

I must be missing something, BTW, because I still get the weird brown menus buttons haven't changed appearance nothing. Just the title bar of active/inactive windows look mac'ish. Even after installing gnome-pane so I can select Classic desktop. Am I supposed to remove unity or something?