Gnome panel background don't work with 2.26

Help
2009-06-16
2012-10-08
  • Marcel Linke
    Marcel Linke
    2009-06-16

Hello guys,

i installed mac4lin 1.0 today on my Ubuntu 9.04 with Gnome 2.26.
    It looks very good, but all applets on the panel have a grey background...
    With Gnome 2.24 it seems to work...

Any ideas?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Gnome theme development.

• @Marcel

Glad you got it fixed. I will make a note to change the permissions beforehand.

• Marcel Linke
      Marcel Linke
      2009-06-16

Now i copied the RC1 gtk theme in it and panel works... But the gradient of the buttons in panel is other like in 1.0 final. Looks not so good.

• Matt Denno
      Matt Denno
      2009-06-19

I am also having this problem. Everything else looks great.

• Yes, I recognize the issue. The problem is that the menu bar applet doesn't play nice with the background. Hence the ugly panel.

Quick fixes:

1) Remove the Menu bar applet and instead use Main Menu applet.

2) If you don't wanna use Main Menu applet but continue to use the Menu Bar applet, then edit the file: ~/.themes/Mac4Lin_GTK_(Aqua/Graphite)_v1.0/gtk-2.0/gtkrc file. Head to Panel section, and uncomment all the lines in the Panel section which say: class xxxxx "panel", widget yyyy "panel" (or panel1).

I will be releasing a fix in the 1.0.1. I'm working out a scalable fix which I can retain across versions.

• Alternatively, you can also use the Main Menu applet in conjunction with Global-Menu applet (installation explained in the documentation). This plays nice with the current Mac4Lin setup.

• Marcel Linke
      Marcel Linke
      2009-06-24

Thanks a lot for this fix! It works fine for me :-)

Now there is another problem with the icons...
      If I install them to $HOME directory it looks great, but I want all users to be able to use the theme and therefore I copied the icons to /usr/share/icons...

This works, but there are some icons missing (places, network monitor and some other).

If I copy them back to my $HOME dir,there is no missing icon?!?

Is this an Ubuntu or Gnome related issue?
      It would be very great if you have a fix for it ;-)

• Marcel Linke
      Marcel Linke
      2009-06-25

I figured out whats the problem. Some files in Mac4Lin-Package does not have read-access for all users.

To fix it: sudo chmod --recursive a+r /Mac4Lin_Icons_v1.0/

You have do to the same for the wallpapers directory.
      To use the splash you have to: remove usplash - install splashy - compile Mac4Lin-splash - reinstall usplash.
      Now, all packages of Mac4Lin are working fine with my Ubuntu 9.04 :-)

Hope this will help someone!