Customizing menu

Help
warleyalex
2007-07-25
2013-04-11
  • warleyalex
    warleyalex
    2007-07-25

Congratulations, LookXP is really impressive!

I would like to do some things, is very importante to me.
    i. I would like to remove/hide the menu itens "Windows" and "Settings", and then add a menu item "Run Command" like in Windows.
    It would be great if I could call this from the start menu.
    Any tips?

ii. When I press "Windows key" to popup the start menu and I use mouse whell button, something strange happens "moves the start menu up-and-down", I think it's a bug.

Best regards,

Warleyalex from Brazil

• Myles Green
      Myles Green
      2007-09-11

Hi Warleyalex,

First, on behalf of the development team I'd like to thank you for your compliments, and apologize for the delayed reply

You wrote:
      > I would like to do some things, is very importante to me.
      > i. I would like to remove/hide the menu itens "Windows" and "Settings", and then add
      > a menu item "Run Command" like in Windows. 
      > It would be great if I could call this from the start menu.
      > Any tips?

Yes, you can remove the Windows and Settings menu entries by editing your preferences
      file which is located under ~/.lxp-icewm/preferences [note the "." before the letter "l"]
      (That is: /home/$USER/.lxp-icewm/preferences). If that file is not present then you'll
      need to copy it from /usr/share/lxp-icewm/preferences to the location above and then edit it.

As for the 'run command' question, you can have that (or you *should* already have it) by clicking on the "run" menu entry. Another way is to press the keys ctrl+alt+spacebar, then you will see a place in the taskbar to enter a command. After you have put your command there you press the Enter key and your command will be run.

You wrote:
      > ii. When I press "Windows key" to popup the start menu and I use mouse whell button,
      > something strange happens "moves the start menu up-and-down", I think it's a bug.

No, this is not a bug. It allows you to browse the menu and is common to both LXP-IceWM and the original IceWM.

I hope that will help you.

Regards, Myles

• Hmm. In regular icewm, I have applications listed, so I can look and run all kinds of stuff. In here, I only have a few things listed.

How can I get my menu to show all my applications?

• Myles Green
      Myles Green
      2008-01-06

Hi BLTicklemonster

By which method did you install Lxp-IceWM? Did you use .rpm files, .deb files, or from source?

Using Debian?
      For LookXP to function properly you need to install at least these two packages (plus their dependencies if they're not already installed) lxp_0.2-1d_i386.deb and lxp-icewm-1.2.30-1b_i386.deb

If you wish to have the gnome2 menu in addition to the lxp-menu included in the menu then you should install lxp_0.2-1d_i386.deb and lxp-icewm-with_gnome2_1.2.30-1b_i386.deb

If you're using an RPM based system look for and install lxp-0.2-1d.i386.rpm plus the appropriate lxp-icewm* packages.

A somewhat easier method if you have a Debian or RPM based system is to download the file lxp-setup-0.2-1b which is a shell script (you need to make it executable: chmod +x lxp-setup-0.2-1b) and run it as root. It will ask you some questions and then it will download and install the necessary packages.

If you still have a suboptimal menu, copy everything except the themes sub-directory from /usr/share/lxp-icewm/ into your $HOME  as /home/<username>/.lxp-icewm/  NOTE that in your home directory the lxp-icewm folder should be a HIDDEN directory and thus you need to ensure it gets named .lxp-icewm (that should read as "dot lxp-icewm"). Remember that it's the "dot" that makes a directory hidden.

If your system is neither Debian based nor RPM based You'll need to download the sources and then build and install them. If this is the way you need or want to install LookXP - and I do actually recommend this way - the let me know and I'll post a detailed set of instructions showing how to get the full effect of the work that Manuel did.

I'll apologise now in the event that i just offended your intelligence with my answer.

Regards, Myles