Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

How do I create a new Category?

Problems
2012-03-09
2013-05-28
  • Todd Chester
    Todd Chester
    2012-03-09

Hi All,

How do I create a new "Category"?  I want to create a category called "Backup/Restore" and populate it with five different launchers.  But, I can not figure out how to create the new category.

Many thanks,
    -T

• Marko Čičak
    Marko Čičak
    2012-03-10

Currently, there is no option to create a new category. I my self, am not even sure how to add a category in lxmed environment.

• Hi cile

I am not sure to understand what yu mean by "add a new category *in lxmed environement*."

If it's about adding a new submenu in e.g. applications, here is a suggestion : try and get a virtual machine software if you haven't one (e.g. virtualbox ) and install a linux distro in which "alacarte" works (gnome2.x) Make a copy of your home directory. Edit menus with alacarte and make a diff with saved directory.

You will see which files are needed to make a submenu entry…

• Yes I found it. It's an XML file in ~/.config/menus. However, I'm not completely sure how this exactly works (ie, when I delete a menu group in alacarte, it DOES disappear from main menu, but the files seems intact. How does it know it is deleted? I need to do some more research on this before I can think about implementing it in lxmed. I hope some future version of lxmed will allow TOTAL control of LXDE main menu.

• That is the most wanted feature… Thanks for your work!