2013-05-28
  • Marko Čičak
    Marko Čičak
    2011-04-03

Welcome to Open Discussion

• bingel
    bingel
    2011-05-06

This is a very very helpful program. Thank you very much.

I have to say that this program is already good as is but since the step more difficult in creating a launcher is choising an icon, I have only this request: add support for viewing .svg icons too.

Thanks again

• Marko Čičak
    Marko Čičak
    2011-05-08

Thank you for your opinion. I totally forgot to implement .svg viewing. You can expect that functionality in near future.

• bingel
    bingel
    2011-05-08

One question though:
    Would you prefere to see Application icon when you edit Application details
    (Editing Menu dialog), or to see it even in Main window (First window that shows
    after launching application), in Menu Items list, next to Application name (such
    as in Categories list)?

It's not important to see icons in main window. it is sufficient to see icons in the application details and more precisely, in the subwindow that appears when you are searching for an appropriate icon to set for your handmade launcher. However if one would be able to see icons also in main windows this would be another good feature.

In the meantime I found another important "bug". Under the tab "details of the application" even if the flag "visible" is checked, if the code contains the following:

OnlyShowIn = GNOME, XFCE;

The launcher still is not visible under LXDE. It is necessary an additional field nestled under the "visible" flag where you can chose the Desktop environments where that launcher have to be set visible.
    This is important because in main window, many launcher that are actually not visible, instead are reported as visible (bold).

Excuse me for my poor English. I hope I was understandable.

Thanks again for your attention.

• Marko Čičak
    Marko Čičak
    2011-05-08

Yes it is a known bug, and documented here http://lxmed.sourceforge.net/help.html#boldvisible under "Some items are shown in bold, but they are not visible?" section. The "OnlyShowIn" field must be taken into consideration when diciding whether to show bold or regular style font (which is now not the case, but it will be in future). I will probably implement checkboxes for each desktop environment if the user wants the OnlyShowIn option enabled.

• bingel
    bingel
    2011-05-08

Ok, good, I had read that page, but obviously I did not see the faq.

Thanks again

• Anonymous
    2012-03-04

What javac commands do you use to build the jar?
    I don't see any makefile or any other kind of build script or any documentation or even comment about it.

What I really want is, java starts up very slow on the tiny weak netbooks that run lxde, that's _why_ I run lxde on them in the first place. So what I want to do is try compiling lxmed with gcj and see if that runs a little better.

• Marko Čičak
    Marko Čičak
    2012-03-04

I use NetBeans for editing/compiling this project. So basicly, it's NetBeans's default build.xml file. I've only added a small code for creating tar and other files. Here is my build.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <project name="LXMenuEditor" default="default" basedir=".">
        <description>Builds, tests, and runs the project LXMenuEditor.</description>
        <import file="nbproject/build-impl.xml"/>
        <property name="installdir"     value="../installation" />
        <property name="version"        value="20110717" />
        <!-- Creates an installation file -->
        <target name="-post-jar">
            <copy file="LICENCE.txt" todir="${dist.dir}"/>
            <delete file="${dist.dir}/README.TXT"/>
            <delete file="/home/cicakmarko/shared/${application.title}.jar"/>
            <copy file="${dist.jar}" todir="/home/cicakmarko/shared"/>
            <copy file="${dist.jar}" todir="${installdir}/lxmed/content"/>
            <tar destfile="../lxmed.tar" basedir="${installdir}" />
            <gzip destfile="../lxmed-${version}.tar.gz" src="../lxmed.tar" />
            <delete file="../lxmed.tar" />
        </target>
    </project>

The project does not include any extra JAR libs, so I presume that a basic gcj command should compile the app.

• Anonymous
    2012-03-21

Thanks.
    I still can't figure out how the original sources are compiled, but the gcj man page says I should be able in theory to compile a .jar file also, so I figured I'd cheat and see if starting with the jar file would work as a first step at least. But it turns out that gcj doesn't have javax.swing.GroupLayout.

It seems there is a difference between java the language and java the platform, and while gcj implements the language, much of the rest of the platform is in the form of libraries and/or individual functions that gcj doesn't have, including this one.

I'm guessing there is probably a way to tell gcj to use files from the sun jdk or openjdk but it's just a bit beyond me at the moment since although I'm familiar with c and gcc, and gcj is a gcc front end, and have even managed to not only build but fix and maintain a gcj program pdftk, java mystifies me, so I don't know how it's supposed to work the "normal" way, let alone go from there to make it work some other way!

Ah.. looks like gcj 4.6 implements java 1.5 not 1.6 also.

I guess just using the jre isn't the end of the world. I don't edit the main menu every 5 minutes.

bkw@noexcuse:/opt/lxmed$ gcj LXMenuEditor.jar 
    net/sourceforge/lxmed/gui/CodeEditDialog.java: In class 'net.sourceforge.lxmed.gui.CodeEditDialog':
    net/sourceforge/lxmed/gui/CodeEditDialog.java: In method 'net.sourceforge.lxmed.gui.CodeEditDialog.initComponents()':
    In file included from net/sourceforge/lxmed/gui/CodeEditDialog.java:105:0,
                     from net/sourceforge/lxmed/gui/CodeEditDialog.java:95,
                     from net/sourceforge/lxmed/gui/CodeEditDialog.java:60,
                     from net/sourceforge/lxmed/gui/CategoriesListCellRenderer.java:42,
                     from net/sourceforge/lxmed/Main.java:70,
                     from net/sourceforge/lxmed/Main.java:50,
                     from net/sourceforge/lxmed/LxmedException.java:16,
                     from <built-in>:8:
    net/sourceforge/lxmed/gui/CodeEditDialog.java:76:0: error: cannot find file for class javax.swing.GroupLayout
    net/sourceforge/lxmed/gui/CodeEditDialog.java:76: confused by earlier errors, bailing out
    bkw@noexcuse:/opt/lxmed$

• This program has succeeded where none of the other menu editors I tried could. I love it.

However, I do have one suggestion though. I apologize if I sound rude, but when the installation script checks for root privileges, if it fails due to not being run as the root user, instead of running echo and exiting, wouldn't it be more practical to instead just prompt the user for the/an administrator password to gain root privileges?

• Marko Čičak
    Marko Čičak
    2012-06-15

Yes, nice point. However, many scripts out there require root privileges to execute, they just don't check whether the user has root privileges or not. If root-required script would be executed, it would just printout a bunch of 'Permission denied' messages. This script at least, says an info that a root privilege is required.

It would be nice for the script to request root privileges itself (although scripts requesting root privileges themselves are rare), but I'm not sure how to write that. I'll google a bit and if you have a suggestion on how to implement such behavior, you are more than welcome to share. ;)

• A few months ago, I worked on the shell script for a command-line program that prompted for an administrator password and then executed all subsequent commands as root. It used this:

#!/bin/bash
    # This script installs the application with root privileges
    # Use gksu to gain root privileges
    gksu -m 'Root Privileges are required to properly install this application' first command
    # Prepend further commands with 'sudo -n' to run them as root
    sudo -n next command

• Marko Čičak
    Marko Čičak
    2012-06-19

Ah, yes of course. :)
    I suppose I will add gksu command in beginning of a script.

• Andy Fielding
    Andy Fielding
    2013-03-05

LXMenuEditor is fabulous! I was quite happy to find that it works with XFCE's main menu too. This is great news for XFCE users, because there is no easy way to edit the XFCE menu.

In case you're interested, I've just posted a topic about it here, to help users of the popular Linux Mint XFCE distro.

Thanks for your very helpful work on this project!

• Marko Čičak
    Marko Čičak
    2013-03-05

@ander1122 Love that you find LXMenuEditor usefull. :)  Thank you for using it!