Help
JoePub
2009-06-24
2013-04-08
  • JoePub
    JoePub
    2009-06-24

Hi,

Could someonc help me, I am trying to figure out how to upcast, using Loki SmartPtr.

I have moved some of my codebase from Boost's smart_ptr to Loki, the boost libraries supplies a dynamic_pointer_cast function to allow upcasting from a Base to a Derived class, how can I achieve  same thing using Loki SmartPtr?

Thanks.

• Unfortunately, neither Loki's SmartPtr nor StrongPtr has an upcast mechanism at this time.  I've heard of occasional requests for an upcast conversion constructor, and there is even a request to add this feature.  (Feature #1447423)

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=1447423&group_id=29557&atid=396647

- Rich

• JoePub
        JoePub
        2009-06-26

Hmm, that's a shame, do you know of anywhere that may have submitted a patch to add this functionality.  I am fairly confident with templates, but the Loki library takes them to the extreme so I wouldn't want to mess that up.

Thanks

• Unfortunately, I know of no place that offers a patch for this particular need.  I checked the patches already submitted to Loki, and neither of them mention the upcasting issue.  Someday, I might look at how Boost provides the upcasting ability and duplicate that trick inside Loki.  If you come up with a method first, feel free to submit it as a patch.

Thanks!

Rich