"Ignoring header" stderr messages

Help
2011-01-21
2013-06-12
  • greyhairweenie
    greyhairweenie
    2011-01-21

Every time 0logwatch runs on one (only one) of my systems, it prints to stderr:
    Ignoring header field "MIME-Version: 1.0"
    Ignoring header field "Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit"
    Ignoring header field "Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1""

That results in anacron sending a root e-mail each time.  I can suppress it by adding "exec 2>/tmp/0logwatch" to the top, but it reverts with each update of the logwatch package.  I can see in the logwatch perl script that it's setting $out_mime to the quoted strings, but all it ever seems to do with that is "print OUTFILE $out_mime if $out_mime;" so I don't understand why stderr is generated.  Any guidance on how to suppress this persistently will be appreciated.

• Mike Tremaine
    Mike Tremaine
    2011-02-19

-output stdout -format text is probably what you want.

The default cron that we put in the install looks like this, you should change it to whatever you need.

#!/bin/sh

#Set logwatch location
    LOGWATCH_SCRIPT="/usr/sbin/logwatch"
    #Add options to this line. Most options should be defined in /etc/logwatch/conf/logwatch.conf,
    #but some are only for the nightly cronrun such as -output mail and should be set here.
    #Other options to consider might be "-format html" or "-encode base64", man logwatch for more details.
    OPTIONS="-output mail"

#Call logwatch
    $LOGWATCH_SCRIPT $OPTIONS

exit 0

• greyhairweenie
    greyhairweenie
    2011-03-28

mtremaine, could you clarify?  That's not the /etc/cron.daily/0logwatch default script, so I'm not sure what/where it is.

The problem with modifying the 0logwatch script to redirect stderr is that every time you update logwatch, my fix gets overwritten.

• greyhairweenie
    greyhairweenie
    2011-03-28

Found it.  cron, per se, has nothing to do with it.  In logwatch.conf, (/etc/logwatch/conf/logwatch.conf on Fedora), put
    OPTIONS="-output stdout -format text"

To suppress the meaningless error messages from the regular report after doing that, in ignore.conf put:
    ^Ignoring header field.*$