Locate32 (64bit) - Help is bonked

Anonymous
2013-08-03
2014-12-14

• Anonymous
    2013-08-03

I just replaced my Locate32 with the 64-bit version. Help comes up blank! Luckily I had saved the 32-bit version first, so I was able to retrieve the .chm file from the Recycle Bin.

• jmj
    jmj
    2013-08-03

Uhm... that's strange. I suppose it's the latest version (the about box should show 3.1.11.7100)? Can anyone else confirm?

Last edit: jmj 2013-08-03

• Anonymous
    2013-08-18

I second this. Downloaded the 32-bit version, extracted the chm. Replaced the 64-bit installed help file with this and it works.

• jmj
    jmj
    2013-08-18

Sounds that there is something wrong with the hlp file in the 64bit package. I could replace it with 32bit version, but which version of Locate32 we are talking about? Version 3.1.11.7100?

Last edit: jmj 2013-08-18

• Anonymous
      2013-08-19

I did exactly that, replaced the .chm file from the 32bit version in the 64bit version (both 3.1.11.7100) and it worked like a charm!

• Anonymous
    2013-08-19

I just downloaded locate32_x64-3.1.11.7100.zip and ran locate32.exe
    Tab Help works nicely
    rch

• jwq
    jwq
    2013-08-21

I'm on Locate32 3.1 RC3m build 11.7100 64-bit and observe the same problem on Windows 7 (Version 6.1 Build 7601) Service Pack 1. The .chm file contents are different, according to WinMerge, but I can't see help pages in either the 32- or 64-bit versions.

• jmj
    jmj
    2013-08-24

jwq: so you can't see the help file at all? Not even one taken from the 32bit package?

If someone have problems with the help file in 64bit version and 32 bit works, can you specify that where did you download it so I can just replace the helpfile in the package.

• Anonymous
    2014-02-14

jmj: sorry for the delay in replying. That's right, I can't see the help even after replacing with the file from the 32-bit version.

• jwq
    jwq
    2014-02-17

Problem Solved, thanks! The help file was being blocked by Windows 7 because it "came from another computer". Right-clicking on the .chm file, choosing Properties and in the General tab at the bottom clicking on the "Unblock" button allowed the copy of the .chm file from the 64-bit version to be opened and the contents displayed by the Help viewer.

For reasons I don't understand, the chm file from 3.1.10.08220 is not identified as coming "from another computer" and opens directly. Before unblocking, when opening the 3.1.11.7100 chm files from Explorer an "Unknown Publisher" dialog was displayed but the contents were still not visible even if the confirmation dialog was OK'd. The 3.1.10.08220 chm would not trigger this "Unknown Publisher" warning dialog. Something to do with signing of the 3.1.11 files, perhaps?

Hope this helps people work-around the issue and the dev(s) track down the problem!

• Josef Meile
      Josef Meile
      2014-05-03

Hi
      I'm still having the problem. I did the "unblock" part, but the help is still blank. Are you running it with an user with Administrator rights? On my case, my user doesn't have it.

Anyway, I also noticed that each time I run "locate32.exe" it always shows the "Unknown Publisher" warning, so, this would be related to that as you said.

Best regards
      Josef

• jmj
    jmj
    2014-05-03

Strange that you have "Unknown Publisher", don't remember seeing it with Locate32. I just remember seeing this if you download some files some application files from internet and then trying to open it in the downloads folder.

How did you install Locate32? Maybe you could try to install it using an installer (http://locate32.cogit.net/download/locate32-3.0.7.7010.exe). This version is quite old so you should also replace files with the latest version (http://locate32.cogit.net/download/locate32-3.1.11.7100.zip or http://locate32.cogit.net/download/locate32_x64-3.1.11.7100.zip for 64bit).

• Josef Meile
      Josef Meile
      2014-05-03

Hi

I just solved the problem. Well, I had to login as admnistrator and then "Unlock" the Locate32.chm and Locate32.exe files. Then I returned to my user without admin-rights and it is ok. I'm not getting the warning again and the help is showing.

I think that the "Unknown Publisher" just came because I download this version:
      http://locate32.cogit.net/download/locate32_x64-3.1.11.7100.zip

It isn't an installer file. So, I manually copied the files to:
      C:\Program Files\locate32

I guess as you said it: with an installer the problem won't occurred since the application will be registered automatically into windows.

Best regards
      Josef

Last edit: Josef Meile 2014-05-03
  • jmj
    jmj
    2014-05-03

That's good. That unlocking is something new for me, but at least now other people could try that too.

Installer actually does nothing more than copies files to C:\Program Files\locate32 too :) But I guess Windows somehow figures out that it's installed then. Who knows...

• Josef Meile
      Josef Meile
      2014-05-03

I just did what you said:
      1) Install the older version with the installer:
      http://locate32.cogit.net/download/locate32-3.0.7.7010.exe
      2) Then override the files with the newer version:
      http://locate32.cogit.net/download/locate32_x64-3.1.11.7100.zip

But the problem is still there. Anyway, if I just install the old version and run it, no warning will be displayed.

So, the only solution is to unblock all the exe files and the Locate32.chm as an administrator user like it was described by the post of jwq.

I really think it is related to the installer. I would say somehow when windows installs the files it stores their signatures into the windows registry and catalog them as safe. When you override them, I would say that they will be cataloged as unsafe because the signature stored by the installer doesn't match the one of the current files.

Last edit: Josef Meile 2014-05-03
  • jmj
    jmj
    2014-05-03

Yea, but the installer (locate32-3.0.7.7010.exe) you used is made by me, and it really does not do anything any particular saving of signatures or registering the files, just copies the files. But well, if I remember right, there is few bits in the exe which specifies that it is an installer, so maybe that tells Windows that it's much more safe :)

Anyway, the unblocking the new files as an administrator does the trick, right? That should be fine, so other people can fix their installation that way too.

• Anonymous
      2014-05-03

Yes, unblocking the files works.

Anyway, about the installer. I think windows stores this somewhere because when you go to the program list you will see Locate32. When you uninstall it, the files will be removed.

Can I do my own installer and distribute it to other people in my institution? I myself can do the "unblock" thing, but I can't rely on normal windows users to do this. A lot of them even don't read the instructions.

By the way, thanks for this excellent software.

• Anonymous
      2014-05-03

Yes, the unblock thing works.

Anyway, I think that windows does something additional. Anyhow it knows that your software is installed and adds it to the list of programs.

Could I myself do my own installer and distribute it to people working in my institution? I know there are plenty of install generators, so, I could use one of them. I prefer to give an installer rather than rely on the people for doing the "unblock" thing. People usually don't read instructions, so, this only means more work; they will come and ask.

By the way, thanks for the excellent software.

• jmj
    jmj
    2014-05-03

Installer also creates those shortcuts if you mean Start menu. But I doubt it's that. It is not too difficult to create those shortcuts by yourself too. Those shortcuts are stored in a specific directory which you can find if you click Start button with right button and choose explorer.

You can make your own installer if you know how to make one. If it's good, I could also share it :)

• Anonymous
    2014-12-13

Thanks, Josef Meile, unlocking worked great for me.

Anonymous

Cancel   Add attachments