Multitrack Window problems..

Shan
2008-10-19
2013-07-25
  • Shan
    Shan
    2008-10-19

For a reason unknown to me I can't drag clips into a timeline and I can't drag Audio either...

I really want to use LiVES but this is REEEAAALLY getting in my way :( Help please.

• Salsaman
      Salsaman
      2009-03-12

This is a known issue in some of the ubuntu builds (on getdeb.net). I am working with that siteś maintainer to resolve the issue, but it is taking some time to fix it.

• frank erler
      frank erler
      2008-11-10

hi there,
      i'v got the same problem and dont't know how to solve it. its not possible to drop a clip on the timeline.
      the comment-window says that there was a clip inserted, but nothing is on display on the timeline bar an nothing is shown, when you start playing.
      LIVES is running an a ubuntu 8.10 distro, which is running grand.

thanks for hints an answers

• I have the same problem:

LiVES 0.9.9.3 on Ubuntu 8.10

I can't understand what's going on, but it's really annoying me, I really want to use LiVES!

• Anonymous
    2009-11-11

Hi. This problem still persists in ubuntu karmic 9.10: I can't add any clip to
    the video tracks in multitrack mode, making Lives useless on my system. This
    is a big problem, I can't use it.

• Salsaman
    Salsaman
    2009-11-11

Yes I think unfortunately you are right, this problem seems to have made an
    unhappy return in the ubuntu (and possibly debian) builds. I have contacted
    the debian packager informing him of the problem so hopefully he can resolve
    it for the next release. In the meantime all I can suggest is that you compile
    LiVES yourself and the problem should go away.

• Salsaman
    Salsaman
    2009-11-12

The problem has been logged as a bug in ubuntu:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/481085

Any further comments should be directed there.

Thanks.

• Andrzej
    Andrzej
    2013-07-25

Hi, I've got the same problem in LiVES 1.8.2 on Ubuntu 13.04 raring.

• Salsaman
    Salsaman
    2013-07-25

OK, I have good news for this !

It took me a very long time to discover the root cause, but it turned out that the Ubuntu packaging system was ignoring a certain compiler flag, which basically caused the host (LiVES) to be unable to write to some parameters which should have been readonly just for plugins. The end result of this was that clips were not appearing inside the timeline.

The great news is that in LiVES version 2.0 I have rewritten the plugin code so that the compiler flag is no longer required.

What you need to do is to update to more current version of LiVES. The latest version was 2.0.5 which was released in June 2013. It seems like there are currently builds of this for Saucy; for Raring you can possibly try the ppa here:

https://launchpad.net/~n-muench/+archive/vlc

If anybody can confirm the issue as fixed, I will be very happy !

• Andrzej
    Andrzej
    2013-07-25

THANK YOU VERY VERY VERY MUCH!!! I just type in terminal
    'sudo add-apt-repository ppa:n-muench/vlc' then of course update and upgrade and problem is gone!! Thank you once again :)

• Salsaman
    Salsaman
    2013-07-25

You're welcome :D