warnquota: Support for other mail cmd?

Help
2007-04-29
2013-03-26
  • Jens Berger
    Jens Berger
    2007-04-29

Hi,

I'm maintaining a quota package for a small linux distribution and many users which want to have quota dont want to install (and configure) a full mail package. I tried to get a small perl script 'sendEmail' (http://caspian.dotconf.net/menu/Software/SendEmail/) to work with warnquota.conf, without success. Is it possible to adapt warnquota to work with that program? Is it possible to write the warning into a file, which is supported by sendEmail via pipe.

TIA,

Jens

• Jan Kara
      Jan Kara
      2007-05-07

It would be slightly non-trivial to adapt warnquota since, if I looked at SendEmail correctly, it has to have headers specified on the command line. I don't want to clutter warnquota code with calling syntax for every mail program someone has written. So won't it be easier to just write a simple script that would read the message from it's stdin, parse the headers (emails from warnquota are quite simple - From, Reply-to, Subject, To and optionally CC), write the message to a file and call SendEmail to it?

• Jens Berger
      Jens Berger
      2007-05-20

Thanks for your reply, Jan.  I think you are right. I will try to write a wrapper script. Many Thanks ...