Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

warnquota and nfs

2007-11-15
2013-03-26
  • Sachin Prabhu
    Sachin Prabhu
    2007-11-15

Warnquota does not seem to work over NFS mounts.

It looks like the support does not exist because the quotafile_ops_rpc does not have support for scan_dquots(). Since the man page does describe that warnquota should work for rpc, this confuses users.  Is this analysis correct ?

If nfs isn't supported, any ETA on when this support will be provided ?

Thanks,
    Sachin Prabhu

• Jan Kara
      Jan Kara
      2007-11-15

That is actually an unlucky formulation in the manpage (I've changed that now). warnquota (and repquota) have no way to work over NFS (and missing scan_dquots() is just a small part of it). warnquota has no way of getting a list of users having quota so it cannot query server about them. It would be possible to extend RPC protocol to support listing all users with quotas but I have no plan to do it... What do you need this for? I ask because warnquota is supposed to be run on a NFS server where this is no problem...

• Sachin Prabhu
      Sachin Prabhu
      2007-11-16

Thank you for your reply.

This problem was reported to us by our clients. We will ask them to run warnquota on the server instead.

Sachin Prabhu