"libgnomeprint-2.2.pc" configure problem

2004-12-12
2012-12-12
  • farooqhasny
    farooqhasny
    2004-12-12

i m using mandrake 10 when did ./configure it gives me error of libgnomeprint dependency error although libgnomeprint is installed and PKG_CONFIG_PATH is set to /usr/lib/pkgconfig

the problem is that there is not .pc file in pkgconfig folder for libgnomeprint

please help me ......

and plz ....make some rpm to make our life easier
    thanks

• John Coppens
      John Coppens
      2004-12-12

Hello farooqhasny,

The libgnomeprint-2.2.pc file contains this:

prefix=/opt/gnome
      exec_prefix=${prefix}
      libdir=${exec_prefix}/lib
      includedir=${prefix}/include

privateincludedir=${includedir}/libgnomeprint-2.2/libgnomeprint/private

Name: libgnomeprint-2.2
      Description: libgnomeprint - Printing library for gtk+ based applications
      Requires: libart-2.0 glib-2.0 gmodule-2.0 gobject-2.0 libxml-2.0 pango
      Version: 2.8.0
      Libs: -L${libdir} -lgnomeprint-2-2 -lz
      Cflags: -I${includedir}/libgnomeprint-2.2

I suspect that just modiffying the first line to the your install path should do the trick.

About the rpms. I'm running slackware, and that distro doesn't normally use rpms. In fact, I have little knowledge of them. I could read up on them, but I'm not even sure I have the tools under slackware to build an rpm... If someone could lend a hand here?

Please report if the above solved you problem.

John

• farooqhasny
      farooqhasny
      2004-12-18

hi MR. John Coppens

i tried the .pc file but problem is that in mandrake 10 there is no /opt/gnome folder and no /usr/lib/libgnomeprint-2.2/libgnomeprint/private
      although gnome is installed

as far as RPM are concern if u consider using compile farm of source fourge you will be able to make rpm without intstalling any other linux distro thanks again for quick responce and sorry about my delayed reply
      thank
      farooq

• John Coppens
        John Coppens
        2004-12-18

Hello Farooq.

Sorry I wasn't clearer. You told me you installed libgnomeprint successfully - I suspect either in /usr/lib or in /usr/local/lib (this is the default, I believe). In that case, the .pc file should be installed in either /usr/lib/pkgconfig/ or /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/ (it probably is already there). Just edit the one I sent, and change the 'prefix' line at the top to match the path in your installation.

The other thing that could be happening is that the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH is not set or does not include the path to where the libgnomeprint-2.2.pc is. Please check (using the 'set' command) if PKG_CONFIG_PATH exists and is correct.

• farooqhasny
      farooqhasny
      2004-12-19

finally i did it
      the problem was that .pc file is not part of libgnomeprint
      it was installed with libgnomeprint-devel package .plus it  also need libgnomeui-devel to be installed for another .pc file then PKG_CONFIG_PATH also needed  to be set to /usr/lib/pkgconfig
      and if make install dosent work try loging in with root
      now finaly it is installed ill try to make rpms and post them soon thanks again for all the help

syed farooq hasny
      The Universty of Lahore

• John Coppens
        John Coppens
        2004-12-19

Hi Farooq...

Glad it is working now. I'll add a test to the configure script to test
        for the libgnomeprint-devel package!

Thanks for the report...

John

• Eivind S.
        Eivind S.
        2006-01-15

I had the same problem as you, Syed, with the ./configure script halting for not finding libgnomeprint2.2 even if it is installed (the .pc file is missing).

I'm running Ubuntu 5.10 (breezy badger).

But thanks to your tip I got it installed. This is what I had to do :

#  apt-get install libgnomeprint-dev libgnomeui-dev
        #  ./configure
        #  make
        #  install

After the packages was installed, the .pc files were there. I didn't try to just create a new .pc file in /usr/lib/pkgconfig like John suggested, but it might have been sufficient. I didn't have to set any PKG_CONFIG_PATH variable.

Now I'll do some transmission line exercises. Thanks for a great piece of free software, John.

• Eivind S.
          Eivind S.
          2006-01-15

An obvious error in last post, the last line should of course have been:

#  make install