#1035 Crashs when opening right click menu on folder

closed-fixed
Lars Windolf
Stability (86)
5
2012-10-28
2012-10-19
nostromo-nz
No

I have used Liferea for about one week, having migrated from RssOwl, and it initially worked okay. I have two main folders - one for google reader feeds, which works well, and a main folder for my normal feeds. If I right-click on the main folder that contains normal feeds, and choose any option, it almost always crashes.

I tried to do a core-dump and backtrace, as described in the faq. Didn't seem to work. But I will do it again, I someone tells me what I did wrong. The debug log from Liferea is attached.

$ liferea --version
Liferea 1.8.6

$ cat /etc/debian_version
wheezy/sid

$ ulimit -c unlimited
$ liferea --debug-all 2>&1 >log.log
$ gdb liferea-bin core

GNU gdb (GDB) 7.4.1-debian
Copyright (C) 2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i486-linux-gnu".
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>...
liferea-bin: No such file or directory.
/home/nostromo/.liferea_1.8/core: No such file or directory.
(gdb) bt
No stack.

Discussion

  • nostromo-nz
    nostromo-nz
    2012-10-19

    Liferea debug log

     
    Attachments
  • Lars Windolf
    Lars Windolf
    2012-10-19

    • assigned_to: nobody --> llando
    • status: open --> pending
     
  • Lars Windolf
    Lars Windolf
    2012-10-19

    Thanks for reporting this. Sadly the backtrace didn't work. Can you please run Liferea from gdb instead of trying to load the core?

    gdb liferea
    (gdb) run
    [let it crash)
    (gdb) bt

    Also please try with the latest stable release 1.8.9 if possible as it contains 3 more crash fixes!

     
  • nostromo-nz
    nostromo-nz
    2012-10-20

    liferea-backtrace log from within gdb

     
    Attachments
  • nostromo-nz
    nostromo-nz
    2012-10-20

    Okay, I did the backtrace from within gdb, like you said, and have attached the log file "gdb-liferea.log".

    Slightly different crash this time. Using the right-click menu on my main folder for normal feeds, it was happy to create a new directory. But second time around, I chose to update the feeds, and that apparently is when it crashed. The window just froze, not closing like it did on previous crashs, but yet in gdb, it had clearly segfaulted.

    I will look into compiling the latest, and trying that out. Might take a while though, outta practice :-/

     
  • nostromo-nz
    nostromo-nz
    2012-10-20

    I stand corrected. The liferea froze, but still running. With the liferea process listed as defunct. Had to "kill -9" it.

    nostromo ~$ ps -ef | grep [4]92[53]
    nostromo 4923 3072 0 13:19 pts/2 00:00:02 gdb liferea
    nostromo 4925 4923 0 13:19 pts/2 00:00:07 [liferea] <defunct>

     
  • nostromo-nz
    nostromo-nz
    2012-10-20

    Have compiled and installed 1.8.9, and it hasn't crashed on me so far. Looking good so far...

     
  • nostromo-nz
    nostromo-nz
    2012-10-20

    • status: pending --> open
     
  • nostromo-nz
    nostromo-nz
    2012-10-24

    The bug hasn't reappeared here for some days now. I'm not sure which Status/Resolution setting to change here, but the problem I had was resolved by upgrading to the latest version. Thanks -G

     
  • Lars Windolf
    Lars Windolf
    2012-10-28

    Thanks for the feedback! I'm closing the bug.

     
  • Lars Windolf
    Lars Windolf
    2012-10-28

    • status: open --> closed-fixed