Help
Dragonyte
2010-07-17
2013-02-08
  • Dragonyte
    Dragonyte
    2010-07-17

Hi,

I have tried using the library using MSVC 2008 and I'm having a hard time.
    I patched it to revision 622, I made some changes, mostly regarding boost to make it compile, and now that it's compiled it doesn't seem to work (the tests are failing).

I found that there is no initialization to the sockets in the code (WSAStartup) and that's why it's failing when trying to get a host name or create a socket.

What exactly is the status of portability for this code?
    What is the status of maintenance? was this project abandoned?
    Am I right to think that the socket class is not really working for windows? or maybe i'm missing something here?

I would like to use this library for a serious, major project, I would appreciate talking to you about it.

Thanks,
    O.P.B.

• Anton Dedov
    Anton Dedov
    2010-07-18

Hello!

Library works on Windows but there is no standard build procedure. We are using it in cross-platform commecrial project (Linux/Windows), which has custom build process. There are plans to move to CMake or other cross-platform build solution to solve problem with builds. But it is plan nothing more so far.

As for absence of WSAStartup, I think it is OK because should be up to application programmer to initialize its application.

• Anton Dedov

• Dragonyte
    Dragonyte
    2010-07-18

Hi,

I have managed to compile the library, after a few changes…
    I will contribute my changes so to avoid extra work for other people.

as for WSAStartup, I think it should be inside the library, The content developer should not deal with comm issues if you give him a wrapping comm library.

In any case, if you have any other known issues or sample code I would appreciate you sharing it with me.
    It doesn't seem as if the library has been updated in the past year and I hope it's because it's as good as it looks and not because there wasn't time :)

O.P.B.