Please switch away from libgmail

Help
2009-07-04
2013-05-21
  • Waseem Daher
    Waseem Daher
    2009-07-04

Dear all,

Please stop using libgmail. Given that Google now supports IMAP and SMTP access to Gmail/Google Apps, it's much easier to use those. In Python, you can do this using the built-in libraries "imaplib" and "smtplib".

This is desirable for several reasons: first and foremost, these protocols are well-specified and won't change at a moment's notice. Which means that you won't wake up one morning to find that your Gmail-based program has stopped working (unlike with libgmail). (This will likely also address a bunch of the outstanding libgmail bugs as well)

I'll continue to apply patches that you submit, as you submit them, for the next little while, but I don't intend to do any libgmail development myself. (If someone else would like to step up to the plate here, I'd be more than happy with that as well).

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Waseem

• John  Haggerty
      John Haggerty
      2009-08-15

I'm thinking of each and every app that is counting on using libgmail to access gmail like ogss the project I'm interested in. Thus far I can't authenticate and python doesn't have any plans to re-code the app and it's lost all support for it

namely https://sourceforge.net/projects/ogss/

the maintainer direcly fingers this project and slammed the ticket shut on me

*that* is why support of the package matters as it stands now I would have to basically learn a year of python having not been acquainted with the language to get anything like that to work based on a different design philosophy. The email link on the maintainer's web page "follower@myrealbox.com" is not functional either

• chuwy
    chuwy
    2009-11-24

But what about fetures like Contacts? Anybody know whether exists libraries that support it?