Dead Project--what a shame

2002-10-10
2002-10-11
  • Troy Scheffel
    Troy Scheffel
    2002-10-10

Tis ashame this project is dead.  It looks like it has great potential.  I long for the old Panzer General interface--it was clean, simple and highly playable.  Someday, Virginia, a PG clone worthy of my hard drive space will arrive on the battlefield.

Troy

• Peter Ivanyi
      Peter Ivanyi
      2002-10-10

The project is not dead! :-) Have you tried it ?
      What are you missing from it ?

Peter

• Troy Scheffel
      Troy Scheffel
      2002-10-11

I've tried it but little seems to be going on in the way of improvements or additional features.  If there is another place where related messages/updates are posted then please give me the URL.  Thanks.

Troy

• Peter Ivanyi
        Peter Ivanyi
        2002-10-11

Sorry, there is no other forum for messages (AFAIK). For updates you can always check the CVS. However I would be really greatefull, if you could tell me what feature you would like. (I have only used the DOS version of Panzer General, and I am not sure what else was done in later versions.) Or what is it that you do not like in the current version. Any comment is appreciated.
        Peter

• Troy Scheffel
      Troy Scheffel
      2002-10-11

I, too, have played only the DOS version of PG.  I believe the DOS version was the best (quick, simple, stable).  I've played PG since it first came out those long years ago.

I have 4 half-completed versions of PG games that I've programmed (Java, VB, C, Micol Basic) but I always falter in the graphics department (ho hum).

Anyway, the following is a list of LGeneral features that I'll ask Santa for:

- Strategic map permanently viewable
      - Full-screen window (I prefer 1280 x 1024)
      - Easier map scrolling mechanics (it doesn't scroll when my mouse is out of the LGeneral window)
      - Use of keypad numbers for quick map jumping (i.e. map divided into 9 sectors)
      - Move the top rectangular info box to an off-map area--it sometimes gets in the way
      - Unit info boxes moved to off-map location
      - Need labels denoting current turn number, maximum turn number, current player, weather, cursor hex location, current date, etc
      - Bug fixed that causes LGeneral to sometimes abruptly exit when changing video mode in-game
      - Permanently viewable traditional menu (system functions) and side menu (game functions)
      - Scenario/campaign editor :-)

Do you know of anyone working on other PG clones for the PC or Linux?  If so please send me a link and I'll scurry on over to see if I can support them.  Danke!

Troy