Tis ashame this project is dead. It looks like it has great potential. I long for the old Panzer General interface--it was clean, simple and highly playable. Someday, Virginia, a PG clone worthy of my hard drive space will arrive on the battlefield.
The project is not dead! :-) Have you tried it ?
What are you missing from it ?
I've tried it but little seems to be going on in the way of improvements or additional features. If there is another place where related messages/updates are posted then please give me the URL. Thanks.
Sorry, there is no other forum for messages (AFAIK). For updates you can always check the CVS. However I would be really greatefull, if you could tell me what feature you would like. (I have only used the DOS version of Panzer General, and I am not sure what else was done in later versions.) Or what is it that you do not like in the current version. Any comment is appreciated.
I, too, have played only the DOS version of PG. I believe the DOS version was the best (quick, simple, stable). I've played PG since it first came out those long years ago.
I have 4 half-completed versions of PG games that I've programmed (Java, VB, C, Micol Basic) but I always falter in the graphics department (ho hum).
Anyway, the following is a list of LGeneral features that I'll ask Santa for:
- Strategic map permanently viewable
- Full-screen window (I prefer 1280 x 1024)
- Easier map scrolling mechanics (it doesn't scroll when my mouse is out of the LGeneral window)
- Use of keypad numbers for quick map jumping (i.e. map divided into 9 sectors)
- Move the top rectangular info box to an off-map area--it sometimes gets in the way
- Unit info boxes moved to off-map location
- Need labels denoting current turn number, maximum turn number, current player, weather, cursor hex location, current date, etc
- Bug fixed that causes LGeneral to sometimes abruptly exit when changing video mode in-game
- Permanently viewable traditional menu (system functions) and side menu (game functions)
- Scenario/campaign editor :-)
Do you know of anyone working on other PG clones for the PC or Linux? If so please send me a link and I'll scurry on over to see if I can support them. Danke!