Help
Rudolph M.
2007-05-07
2013-04-09
  • Rudolph M.
    Rudolph M.
    2007-05-07

Hello everybody !

This is my first post here. Last weekend I've installed LedgerSMB 1.2.4 successfully. I am very impressed. Now I created a sales order and tried to print it (Sales Order / PDF / Screen). But I got an error message like this:

menu.pl:88: Can't locate LedgerSMB/Taxes/.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/i586-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/i586-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/i586-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at LedgerSMB/Tax.pm line 62.

Is there something wrong on my installation?
    In LedgerSMB/Taxes/ there is only a "Simple.pm".

My system setup is:
    openSUSE linux 10.2
    Apache/2.2.3
    Perl 5.8.8
    PgSQL 8.1.5

Thx.

• Chris Travers
      Chris Travers
      2007-05-07

Hi.

You need to go to the System/Taxes interface and configure the taxes to use the "Simple" module.

Best Wishes,
      Chris Travers

• Rudolph M.
      Rudolph M.
      2007-05-07

Hi Chris,
      Thanxs for your prompt reply!

Sorry, I'm to stupid - how can I configure the taxes ?

In my application at System/Taxes there are 3 rows (VAT 0% / 10% / 20%) and 3 colums after Rate% (Number, valid-to and Ordering). What should I type in ?

Regards,
      Rudolf.

• Chris Travers
        Chris Travers
        2007-05-07

I wouldn't say you are stupid :-)  I didn't check the interface before I replied so it may have been misleading.  Check the "Tax Rules" column.  if all are set to "simple" click save.

• Rudolph M.
      Rudolph M.
      2007-05-08

I saved the following Tax rules data:

Rate (%)   Number    Valid To    Ordering    Tax Rules
      Mwst. 0%                1       31.12.2099  1           Simple
      Mwst. 10%   100         2       31.12.2099  2           Simple
      Mwst. 20%   200         3       31.12.2099  3           Simple

When I'm typing in a rate 10 and 20, always 100 and 200 are displayed. But in the table 'tax' 0.1 and 0.2 is stored, after a second save the tax.rate is updated to 1 and 2, and the tax calculation is wrong.

Sales Order printing still don't work.
      Invoice printing does work, but only after the second push to print button and only as "html on screen".

Regards,
      Rudolf

• Chris Travers
        Chris Travers
        2007-05-08

Ok.  You may wish to get familiar with our documentation.  I think those numbers don't mean what you expect them to mean and maybe we should revisit the labels on that screen.

If these are all applied to the base subtotal of the taxable amount for the invoice, then you should set all the ordering numbers to the same value (i.e. '1').  Otherwise, each subsequent pass applies also to the tax collected on the previous pass.  This is designed to help support tax in places where other sales taxes are taxed (for example, PST in Quebec is cumulative on top of GST).

The requirement for pressing the print button twice when printing to the screen will probably go away in a future version but it is inherited from SQL-Ledger and so willprobably not happen before 1.4 when we overhaul this part of the application.  When you click "print" the first time, if you don't have an invoice or order number, it will autogenerate these first, and then give you an option to print again.  This may be handled differently in 1.4 or later but we haven't worked out exactly how yet and we are still only part way though the development of 1.3.

Best Wishes,
        Chris Travers

• Chris Travers
        Chris Travers
        2007-05-08

One more suggestion:

You may want to get on the -users email list.  You are likely to learn a lot about the software and it is a great place to ask questions (a lot more traffic than this forum).   My suggestions that you at least skim over the manual and see what is in it are meant in the spirit that this application is big and complex, and that may save you a lot of time and headache in the long run.

Of course, I am aware that nobody reads manuals these days ;-)

• Rudolph M.
          Rudolph M.
          2007-05-08

Thank you, Chris, for your detail answer.

You are right, I'm starting to read the docu, now. (I like to read documentations, realy :-)
          Even though it seems that the Ledger-SMB Manual v1.2 is not up-to-date with LSMB 1.2.4. So what, it is very interesting.

But one problem is still existing in System/Taxes:
          if I put in the tax rate 10 (for 10%) and say 'save', at next display the rate is 100.
          Now I played with 'Number Format' in preferences and changed it from 1.000,00 to 1000.00 - bingo, now it is working fine. Seems to be a bug? But this is a workaround, the number format 1.000,00 is important in German speaking countries.

The print function for sales order does still fail with error message of first post.
          And thx for you hint to the user email list, I will get on it.

Regards,
          Rudolf

• Chris Travers
            Chris Travers
            2007-05-08

Hi;

This problem is specific to your date format and a fix has been committed for 1.2.5.  Basically, the numbers get parsed twice and hence the decimal point gets dropped.

If you would like a prerelease of 1.2.5, you can email me at chris.travers@gmail.com.  This would help ensure that the fix is adequate.  1.2.5 may be out within a couple of days.

Best Wishes,
            Chris Travers

• Chris Travers
      Chris Travers
      2007-05-08

One more thing:  Our 1.2.x releases are just bugfixes on top of the existing codebase.  THe same manual should apply to all versions of 1.2.x.