SuperMicro LCD Bezel, what LCDProc settings are correct?

Help
2014-06-10
2014-06-21
  • Chad Kelahan
    Chad Kelahan
    2014-06-10

I have a SuperMicro LCD bezel (MCP-210-00007-01), specifically, http://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/LCD.cfm

It connects to the system via a USB header cable and then attached to a controller card which has "gold fingers" in which the bezel attaches to.

I am on an SoC SuperMicro server with pfs 2.1.3 installed.

SuperMicro offers Windows and Linux GUI drivers/interface but that will not help me with pfs.

I have tried LCDProc 0.5.5, 0.5.6, and even tried 0.5.7 from this site.

0.5.5 and 0.5.6 were obtained from the package section, tried all sorts of different driver combinations but the screen displayed nothing (but is powered on).

I couldn't figure out how to get 0.5.7 installed manually, as it isn't showing up in the packages section for some reason so I didn't get anywhere with that version. I read that they added more screens but I can't install it.

Am I missing something, what combination of COM port/driver/connection type do I need to get the screen working?

Thanks in advance for the insight.

• Markus Dolze
    Markus Dolze
    2014-06-17

Unfortunately, I think you will not get this LCD to work with LCDproc. Back in 2011 someone else tried to use a Supermicro LCD, but without success - see this post.

I had a look at the software they provide. Although it is written in Java, when communicating with the LCD it makes calls into a precompiled library (LIBSMC.dll or libLIBSMC.so).

On Windows the DLL depends on HID.dll as well, so I guess it is to be used as a HID device. Only two LCDproc drivers exist that make used of HID devices: mdm166a and glcd2usb. Both do not apply to Supermicro LCD. Sorry.

• Chad Kelahan
    Chad Kelahan
    2014-06-19

I have the software engineers at superMicro ready to create a set of FreeBSD drivers. We know the Java and the Linux drivers they currently offer will not work.

What should I tell the software engineers to begin this process? Do they need to integrate their drivers into their own pfSense installable package or do they need to just create a FreeBSD driver set and give it to the LCDProc engineers?

Last edit: Chad Kelahan 2014-06-19
  • Markus Dolze
    Markus Dolze
    2014-06-21

I suggest reading 'Adding your driver to LCDproc' from the Developer's Guide. It explains requirements and how-to.

While a pre-compiled binary package IS possible, I believe that creating an open source driver for inclusion into LCDproc will be most useful.

Last edit: Markus Dolze 2014-06-21