Help
Enimaq
2012-11-02
2013-03-31
  • Enimaq
    Enimaq
    2012-11-02

Hi,

I am fairly new to using an LCD attached to my server but have had a matric orbital MX213 for several years stuffed ina drawer and now I want to attach it to my Solaris server. I'm getting rather confused trying to install lcdproc and get the LCDd daemon running on Solaris (Open Indiana).

I am running this on a HP Microserver  and have installed lcdproc v1.5.5  and tried v1.5.6 but I don't know what to do to get the server LCDd running. I have been trawling the web for any other guides or help but have drawn a blank. I have managed to install and compile lcdproc client fine but it cant connect to the server as that's the part I am failing on.

The OS can see the display fine (I think its configured as /dev/term/0) and I have setup the LCDd.conf  file (using MtxOrb driver)  but i don't know how to start the server daemon. Can anyone give me some pointers as to what to what to try please? Am i doing something really silly , or not doing something thats really obvious?

I have gone through this link as its the closet guide I could find: http://cryptographrix.com/tagged/LCDd, but where he talks about starting it up I don't have the LCDd to run! 

Here's some server outputs for your reference, if you need any further info  please let me know:

root@MicroServer:/usr/local/bin# uname -a
    SunOS MicroServer 5.11 oi_151a5 i86pc i386 i86pc Solaris

root@MicroServer:/usr/local/bin# cfgadm -al
    usb8/3                         connected    configured   ok         Mfg: Matrix Orbital  Product: MO USB LCD MX2xx  NConfigs: 1  Config: 0  <no cfg str descr>

root@MicroServer:/usr/local/bin# cd /dev/term/
    root@MicroServer:/dev/term# ls -al
    total 9
    drwxr-xr-x   3 root root   3 2012-11-02 09:47 .
    drwxr-xr-x 243 root sys  243 2012-11-02 09:47 ..
    lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root  48 2012-11-02 09:47 0 -> ../../devices/pci@0,0/pci103c,1609@12/device@3:0

root@MicroServer:/usr/local/bin# /usr/local/bin/lcdproc
    sock_connect: connect failed
    Error connecting to LCD server localhost on port 13666.
    Check to see that the server is running and operating normally.

Thanks in advance.

• Markus Dolze
    Markus Dolze
    2012-11-12

Well,

I am not sure if anybody used LCDproc on Solaris recently…

Assuming you want to build LCDproc from source with the Matrix Orbital driver only:

1. Unpack the source (lcdproc-0.5.6.tar.gz) file an 'cd' into the extracted directory.
    2. Run 'configure -enable-drivers=MtxOrb'
    3. Run 'make'. The make command must complete without errors.

There is no need to install lcdproc (client) or LCDd (server) just for testing!

4. Edit LCDd.conf and put in the correct 'Device=' setting in the  section. Also change the 'Driver=' setting in the  section to  'Driver=MtxOrb'. Leave the 'DriverPath=' setting unchanged for this.
    5. Run 'server/LCDd -c ./LCDd.conf -f' to run LCDd in the foreground.

If LCDd starts up, you may run a client e.g. on another terminal.

6. Run 'clients/lcdproc/lcdproc -f'

If all goes well, you may continue to install lcdproc and LCDd, but you should be able to run both from the extracted directory first.