General Protection fault?

Help
Omega Xi
2007-06-22
2013-04-29
  • Omega Xi
    Omega Xi
    2007-06-22

Hi there, sorry to bug anyone but I am trying to run this on an old pentium II laptop but for some reason when I run the program under DOS it crashes, freezes the computer and displays a message about a page fault at the top of the screen.  If I try to run the program under windows '98 it crashes back to the desktop and complains about a general protection fault.

Any ideas?

//Xi

• Bill Morris
      Bill Morris
      2007-06-22

Sorry. I can only guess, but it could easily be that the graphics card doesn't have a compatible mode. What works on the old Thinkpads with 800 x 600 screen is to type 800 to start the program.  That tells LCARS 24 not to attempt 1024 x 768 graphics, which will definitely crash on those machines exactly as you describe (to protect you from hardware damage, in which case it will go for a made those old Thinkpad can handle.

That may work on the machine you mentioned, but chances are if it's a Pentium II it also has an old 8-bit graphics card. If it does, and LCARS 24 starts up and runs, it won't be able to do everything it's designed to do. The startup film clip will look scrambled, the world map won't display properly, etc.

But what the heck? Try typing 800 and see if that gets it going. That feature was designed for the problem you mentioned, and it solves the problem for some machines.

• Okay, since I just got LCARS24 running in 8bit mode (yeah yeah) on this Satellite Pro 410cs. (90mhz 8mb of ram) I'm going to ask you if in DOS you are running EMM386 because last night whilst setting it up I was running DR-DOS 7.03 with EMM386, and I was getting so many protection faults it was amusing.  After commenting out the emm386 lines in both the autoexec.bat and the config.sys files this morning, everything is running entirely smoothly (well, considering)

• Bill Morris
      Bill Morris
      2008-03-03

I thought I read that Allegro programs didn't work as well, if at all, under DR-DOS, and I've never tried it. I usually use the MS-DOS that came with Windows 98, but I did make some changes to LCARS 24 to accomodate FreeDOS, which are probably no longer necessary with the latest version of FreeDOS.